Please give me some information about my violins.

May 17, 2020, 9:23 AM · I bought a violin at a Japanese auction, but the label seems to be different from the original one. The label says KARL HOFNER in big font. (BUBENREUTH NEAR ERLANGEN GERMANY) and 41830, which looks like a serial number.
On the side of the sound post, the KH and the violin-shaped stamp say No.660.
Does anyone know about this model?

And I bought an ornati 1937 model from a German auction. incredibly cheap It's 1937 model, but if there's no pin in the back, is it a fake?

Replies (8)

Edited: May 17, 2020, 2:08 PM · Fittings such as pins don’t indicate originality. They can and will be replaced at one point on older violins. Either for sound or because they are broken. At least that is what the luthiers say.

A quick google search reveals that Karl Hofner seems to be a mass produced brand.

May 17, 2020, 5:28 PM · Take photos of the whole instrument and ask on maestronet.com, if you want more valuable opinions.
Edited: May 18, 2020, 12:54 AM · Even better, take it to a luthier. After the outbreak of course...
May 18, 2020, 2:00 AM · Karl Hofner violins were apparently quite popular in Asia before violin factories started opening in China. I've seen a number of them. They've all belonged to either someone who purchased the violin somewhere in Asia in the 1950s or 1960s, or someone whose parent or grandparent did.
May 18, 2020, 7:34 AM · An Ornati "model" violin wouldn't be an Ornati, so your question must be is it an accurate copy of an Ornati. That's very doubtful.
May 19, 2020, 7:42 AM · Thank you all for the information.
Ornati could be canceled, so I canceled it. Ha ha.
I should be satisfied with the violin I have now.
May 19, 2020, 12:04 PM · I like the treble clef in Ornati's signature.

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/ornati-and-garimberti-part-2/

His instruments also look nice :)

May 20, 2020, 6:53 AM · Yeah, that's right. And I heard his signature was hard to copy. XD

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe