How do Ambers and Obilagatos compare?

May 13, 2020, 11:07 PM · As you may have already seen other post by me I recently purchased a new violin and am on a string hunt without having to buy a lot of the strings first. I've only ever used EP's in the past on my old instrument so I haven't experimented much, however, these are much too shrill for my current one. I was wondering how the Obilagatos compare to the Warchal ambers. Which ones are warmer/softer? I know that obligates are dark but what about the ambers? Overall which ones produce a more subtle sound.

Replies (9)

May 14, 2020, 2:52 AM · Obligato is very expensive to be used on a regular basis. You may try Amber first and stay if you found that sound pleasing
May 14, 2020, 7:31 AM · I have not used Pirastro Obligatos for years. I have started to use Warchal Ambers and Timbres in the past year.

On the same violin I found Obligatos to be "warmer" sounding, but Ambers to be more responsive, more sensitive to bowing subtleties and deliver more overtone sound.

May 14, 2020, 9:43 AM · It will depend on your violin, but I tend to agree with Andrew. They are both good strings. I think Obligatos are bolder sounding, under the ear, but they don't last as long. Ambers are softer and subtler, and have proved to be a much better match for my main violin, which projects strongly whatever string I use. I never liked the sound of EP very much --- too bright and I thought lacking in complexity. They also seemed to me to have a shorter life-span than Obligatos. The Ambers respond more like Eudoxas, which were once my standard.
May 14, 2020, 5:01 PM · Warchal's strings are terrific value for the money, and quite long-lasting.
May 14, 2020, 8:32 PM · Obligatos are the warmer of the two. Amber wouldn’t be a bad choice as a switch from Evahs, though. It really comes down to your preference and your intended use.
Edited: May 15, 2020, 11:44 AM · My early c20th German trade violin loves both. I find the obligato darker and the sound seems to carry further while the ambers are sweeter, more delicate, and easier to play. They have more clarity under my ear, but I'm not sure how that carries to a listener.
She has a lovely voice with passiones - lots of gorgeous overtones - but they're even more expensive and don't last nearly as long. For comparison EPs sound terribly garish on her.

The amber e seems to work well with other string sets too, incl. obligatos,

May 15, 2020, 2:36 PM · Garish. That's exactly how the EP struck me on my violins. And EP gold was even worse.
Edited: May 15, 2020, 3:58 PM · Obligatos aren't very expensive, they cost almost the same and will last longer.
At least at Thomann I see only a 9€ difference between the sets.
May 16, 2020, 9:41 AM · I love both Amber and Obligato. I actually used Amber E + Obligato GDA or Warchal Brilliant Vintage GDA + Amber E mainly.

Obligato sound very much like Warchal Brillian Vintage at least for me.

Nowdays I've been using old scrap strings but if I had a choice, I would use:
Obligato G
Warchal Brilliant Vintange D and A
Amber E or Infeld Red E

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe