Short Winter Programs?

Edited: May 4, 2020, 2:02 PM · Dears,

After getting really optimistic when the siting audition material was sent over two weeks ago, and after having started to practice and preparing for the shortened program, this weekend the Aspen festival was cancelled. Bummer.

Next summer might not be possible for my son to participate as he must take on an internship for his engineering career.
Having a long winter break, I thought that maybe you have ideas for a short winter program that will be at a similar level to Aspen.
Or maybe just a short program for next summer that could be done before or after an internship. He really misses the experience.
Any idea is welcomed even out of the U.S.
Thank you all.

Replies (7)

May 4, 2020, 2:05 PM · My brother regularly participates in this: https://www.vaco.org.uk/ they usually have a winter course.
May 4, 2020, 2:32 PM · Some kids from my son's program have done the NY String Orchestra program: https://www.newschool.edu/mannes/new-york-string-orchestra-seminar-application/ The timing has gotten a bit weird -- beginning of November. We don't have personal experience with it as my son isn't old enough (it is 16+) but it is very high level.

For this summer, there are two programs (and possibly others) that have decided to go virtual and last I heard still had some open spots since kids decided to drop out. They are Heifetz and Center Stage Strings. Both are the same level players as Aspen or higher, though Center Stage Strings tends to have more younger students while Heifetz trends older. Obviously, virtual isn't the same, but it is something.

May 4, 2020, 3:01 PM · Thank you both so much. I will look into these and would love to hear more ideas. I don't think virtual is the way for him. He loves the interactions and the social life of those programs. It is much more than the practice and the lessons. But I will tell him about this option too.

I hope more ideas will come through.

Thank you !

May 4, 2020, 3:01 PM · Thank you both so much. I will look into these and would love to hear more ideas. I don't think virtual is the way for him. He loves the interactions and the social life of those programs. It is much more than the practice and the lessons. But I will tell him about this option too.

I hope more ideas will come through.

Thank you !

May 4, 2020, 3:57 PM · https://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/all/music
May 4, 2020, 5:59 PM · Virtual isn't the way for anyone. My son is devastated his in-person program got cancelled. But I hope the virtual program will help keep him motivated and provide some sort of social outlet, as quarantine has been so isolating for him.
May 7, 2020, 12:28 AM · Thank you, Mary Ellen. And Susan, I totally hear you. My son is devastated for the loss of the Aspen program. He waited for it for two years and now that every other program was cancelled, they still sent the audition materials and delayed in two weeks to start mid-July so we were really building our expectations. Yet, we realize that we are the lucky ones being troubled by summer programs. Instead, we built an academic program for these coming months that will allow him to audition to Aspen again for next summer. Virtual will not work for him, he is so much into the atmosphere and culture of those festivals. For his violin skills, he will continue working with some great teachers he has now in our area, and I think with opening up, he might be able to get a few classes in person. We'll see. From the programs your son has been admitted to it is obvious he is very talented, and he is still young. I wouldn't worry.
Stay safe. It WILL be over eventually.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe