Violino Strings ?

Edited: May 2, 2020, 3:44 PM · I have a very nice violin I purchased recently. When shopping I put efficeiency and response first as it is very important while shaping your skills. Usually im not a huge fan of brighter and edgier instruemnts however I wasnt trying not to be to picky on tone color. The response is very fast and creates a huge sound with minimal bow. The sound however was a little harsh and as I wont be doing any solo work I decided to change to strings to some violinos. I like the sound a lot more with them as it smoothes it and makes the tone more complex. The response is still very fast and efficent. With this is using low tension strings such as these acceptable if it gives the same effect as a less powerful violin with say evah pirazzi strings. Are there any other benifits of using higher tesnsion soloist strings.

Replies (4)

May 2, 2020, 3:24 PM · Try the Warchal Amber violin strings. You will get the responsiveness and pitch stability of the best synthetic core strings, but with the rich, complex characteristics of gut strings. I used Dominants for close to 30 years, but switched to Warchal Amber strings about three years ago. I recently tried the Evah Pirazzi Gold strings from Pirastro, but was not convinced of their superiority over Warchal Amber.
Edited: May 7, 2020, 11:33 AM · If you’re pleased with the sound, there’s no reason you need to change them. I tend to prefer other strings, but choosing strings is a fairly subjective thing. Evahs are high tension and tend to make an instrument more sharply focused. Lower tension strings will give more warmth, although at a certain point they become muddy.
May 3, 2020, 11:24 AM · Using lower-tension strings is absolutely acceptable, totally fine if it works well for you. If it still responds quickly, great, enjoy!

If you for some reason want to further experiment (and I'm not suggesting it if you like Violinos) other sort of similar strings with similar characteristics across a wide range of price ranges are D'Addario Pro Artes, Tonicas and Kaplan Amos and Eudoxa (gut).

Edited: May 6, 2020, 9:53 PM · Obligato. They are the best for what you want, warmer and darker sound, but a little more soloist than Violinos, the perfect sweet spot.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe