Benedetti Foundation Virtual Program and ? about ABRSM Levels

May 1, 2020, 9:38 AM · I wanted to make sure everybody knew about this free program taking place this month: https://www.benedettifoundation.org/virtualsessions Looks fun!!!

I'm planning on signing both my kids up but I am only somewhat familiar with the ABRSM levels and I don't know which program is right for my younger one.

Advanced program is ABRSM Level 6-8, Intermediate is Level 3-5. My younger kid is 10 and currently playing Mozart 3 and Praeludium and Allegro. She is comfortable with all 3 octave scales, basic double stops, high positions, etc. Her weaknesses are bow strokes (still doesn't have much of a spiccato) and sight-reading. She plays in a middle school level orchestra (primarily ages 11-14). Based on that info, what ABRSM level would she fall into?

Replies (8)

May 1, 2020, 10:34 AM · She would fall into DipABRSM (the level above Grade 8) I think. Mozart 3 is on the diploma syllabus
May 1, 2020, 10:55 AM · Based on that information, she should be doing the ABRSM 6-8/Advanced Programme.

I have signed up for this, should be a lot of fun!

May 1, 2020, 10:58 AM · Really? She doesn't seem that advanced. Well, we will give it a go!
Edited: May 1, 2020, 11:13 AM · I think the way America/other countries measure advanced differently to the UK. Almost all non serious musicians I know class Grade 8 to be "advanced". The things on the current syllabus for violin include Bach A minor mvt 1, Mozart K.454 mvt 1 and Tchaik mvt 2
May 15, 2020, 8:23 PM · I somehow came across several videos from this series that have just been posted, and they are truly wonderful! Nicola is a very patient, personable, wonderful teacher, and has a lot of skills to teach! She's assembled a great crew to teach a lot of different levels on different instruments, and they're all doing an incredible job of teaching excellent skills in a very approachable manner. I'd highly recommend them to everyone! There's also a series of instructional videos Nicola did about a year ago called "With Nicky," and they are all excellent, as well. Great to see somebody with a busy schedule and top flight skills making such great instructional materials that are very helpful to all players, from beginners to advanced players.
May 15, 2020, 8:25 PM · Advanced. :-)
May 15, 2020, 9:30 PM · My little one is thoroughly enjoying it and the level is perfect. Violin 1 Advanced is challenging but obtainable, so that's where she ended up. Intermediate would have been way too easy. She loves the music! It's been really great so far -- and how many 10-year-olds can say they've done a Zoom call with Nicola Benedetti?

My older one didn't end up doing it -- he didn't fit well into any of the groups -- but he's been playing along and helping his sister learn her parts.

May 15, 2020, 9:48 PM · Aww thats good ^_^

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe