Sticky fingerboard

Edited: April 29, 2020, 5:09 PM · Hello everyone!

So lately, I have been noticing that there seems to be some sticky like sleftover from rosin that seems to be on my violin. Its mostly on the fingerboard right near where the bow is. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? How do I get rid of it without damaging the violin?

It's weird because I always clean my violin after using it, but it appears every once in awhile.

heres a picture of what im talking about:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_RncWcI-wAdJvbIMQkkreZpzGEbUa6mpbZ_sJQzrp-g/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Replies (2)

April 29, 2020, 4:49 PM · Your bow hair could be worn out, or you're applying too much rosin. Either way, just give it a wipe with a cloth before you put it back in the case and it'll be fine.
April 29, 2020, 9:11 PM · If the rosin buildup gets to the point where using a cloth won’t clean the fingerboard, have a luthier clean it for you.

Some rosin varieties leave stickier deposits than others. If the problem persists after cleaning and you don’t want to need it professionally cleaned as often, try a different brand of rosin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe