! Bach Partita In D Minor !

April 27, 2020, 11:19 PM · I am an intermediate student violinist who is auditioning for my schools chamber orchestra. I was thinking of using the first few sections of the Bach Partita. Ive heard that bach can be very deceiveing when it comes to difuiculty and wonderd if anyone has played it? from what I see it seems to work its way down and becomes incresingly harder ending whith the chaconne arpeggio. Im not looking to learn theses segments juts the first two maybe. To get an idea of where I stand bruch violin concerto in g minor and vivaldi winter are about the most complex peices that ive completed. Want to know anyone thinks ?

Replies (5)

April 28, 2020, 7:03 AM · If you can play Bruch or Vivaldi Winter well, you should be able to play any of the first four movements of the D minor partita.
April 28, 2020, 7:08 AM · The only issue that I can see with using the first few movements of the Bach D Minor Partita as an orchestral audition piece is that they're not really going to show anyone what you can accomplish above third position.
April 28, 2020, 7:17 AM · Paul makes a good point. If you can play Bruch, why not use that for the audition?
April 28, 2020, 10:51 AM · Wow, "intermediate student violinist" means a lot of things to a lot of people! Yes, you are the right level for this Partita. It's a good choice if the Chamber Orchestra is a traditional Baroque orchestra. But I would pair it with something else (like the Bruch) to show off your technique.
April 28, 2020, 1:26 PM · I have found memorizing Bach to be challenging - more so than the Vivaldi I've played - but rewarding as I feel like I can focus more on making music and less on what I see on the page. Not sure if you need to memorize a piece for the audition but if you do you might find it helpful to start practicing a movement in the middle or tail end rather than starting from the beginning by default.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe