Strings For Powerful Violin

April 24, 2020, 4:02 PM · Recently I purchased an IF Strings violin (Link) https://www.ifstrings.com/product/master-build-deluxe-wood-340-guarneri-del-gesu-1740-ex-heifetz/

As shown in the description it is very powerful with a deep and warm lower register and a brilliant upper register. Apon arriving I got sound post adjusted making the sound much more balaced and open. Although I enjoyed the evvah pirazzi strings im not the biggest fan of the high tension. I had some old Violino strings that I put on it and smoothed out the tone a a lot which I liked. However the resposne was a bit too slow for my liking. Are there any strings that mellow out a powerful violin while also having around the same fast response as the evah pirazzi strings?

Replies (7)

April 24, 2020, 4:09 PM · Obligato are the best for what you want.
April 24, 2020, 4:20 PM · Evah Pirazzi Gold is a bit lower tension than the green Evahs. Worth trying; they are great, if expensive and short-lived, strings.

If you want a similar tonal profile to the Evahs in a low-tension string, I'd try Warchal Brilliants.

If you want a warmer sound, try Obligatos -- same core material as the Evahs, but at a lower tension. I think Warchal Amber is also worth trying.

Edited: April 24, 2020, 7:16 PM · Based on what you wrote, it may be worth trying Evah Pirazzi strings in light tension.

The tension does not feel extremely low.

They are easier to play, and if they work well for your instrument, the response will be faster than with the medium gauge.

April 24, 2020, 9:02 PM · Like Lydia, I have found Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Gold to generally be the richest sounding strings on a range of violins. But for faster response and a bit more overtone strength I am moving toward Warchal Amber and Timbre strings (with their Avantgard A string on some violins).

It is also worthwhile to have your bridge evaluated for optimization for your violin and strings. I found a big change when I switched from a 2.1 gram bridge to a 2.0 gram one (both luthier made for that violin - about 50 years apart)

April 24, 2020, 9:19 PM · Evah Golds are quite nice. I might also suggest PI for brilliance or TI for warmth.
April 25, 2020, 9:05 AM · Kaplan Amo might work. At least they feel lower tension, warm, and still fast.
April 25, 2020, 1:09 PM · IMHO, Obligato first, Amo second, then lighter Corelli crystal if you want to save $$$.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe