Violin fan thinking of starting to study

April 24, 2020, 12:07 PM · I tried to open this yesterday but it said I had already posted and I hadn't...

So, I want to start, and understand that I can rent a Violin, and actually the school I looked at told me that they have student violins they can lend, so for the time being I might not need one, but are starting to think of buying one anyway as I am very impulsive and sometimes I decide to do stuff at home, and I rather have it and use it little than not have it.

I was checking prices, and am astonished as I see that a lot of people state that a 200 violin is not good even for a student(and some say they are). I thought that 2k violins were "high end" and 2M violins were super high end violins for rich people and big time musicians, so I am kind of in doubt

I am in Mexico and there is a place called Paracho where they make wooden instruments and myth in MX says they are some of the best of the world(That is what is said in Mexico, my grandpa had a guitar from there that he bought in his teens and played for, like forever), I saw something like this and want your opinion(I know there is much to go by but looks say a lot)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitarrasdeparachomichoacan.com%2Fviolines%2Fviol%25C3%25ADn-de-madera-de-arce-brillante-detail

and of course this one, which I though was a little expensive, but seems not to be for what I have seen

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.guitarrasdeparachomichoacan.com%2Fviolines%2Fviol%25C3%25ADn-de-madera-de-arce-brillante-detail

Do you think they are worth my consideration or I should look for other things(Was also thinking of Yamaha, but IDK if they are actually worth it and have also seen some division)

I know that they would probably help me to choose one on the school, but I also want input from other people, especially from around the world, as it is better to have a broader spectrum of opinions

Thanks for the help

Replies (6)

Edited: April 24, 2020, 12:29 PM · I would stay with the plan of renting your violin until you know how to make some sound. Plan to rent at least until you've completed your first "method book" or two. Then when it's time to buy your first violin, it'll be a much more enjoyable and productive experience. You can check back with us then and we'll fill your tank with about as many wild opinions as it can hold. I promise. :)

Your time and effort right now will be better spent learning to play, with a teacher, and learning how to care for a violin. The latter is better done with someone else's violin too.

Edited: April 24, 2020, 1:49 PM · Paul Deck has it right. Wait. I bought my first violin on impulse one day, and it turned out to be a mistake; I was totally ignorant, therefore totally vulnerable to the shopowner's sales pitch! I should have rented, and had the help of my teacher when it came time to buy my own instrument. Learning to shop for and play a violin is a lifelong educational experience; you will make a better choice with at least a year of lessons before you open your wallet to buy. Even then, you will have only 1/50 of the knowledge you will accrue in future years! Do not limit yourself to only one shop, or only 5 shops; be aware of how much of your rental fee applies to purchase--this varies greatly. Best of luck to you...patience will reward you more than haste.
April 24, 2020, 2:45 PM · I’d say that the violin you showed from Paracho is fairly priced for the quality of workmanship and materials I see from the pictures. At about $175 USD that’s at the lower end of what would be a starting student instrument. Whether it’s worth the price really depends on how well it’s set up ( the bridge, is it easy to play, strings, etc).

Also, I doubt this is a real Paracho master crafted violin, I’ve seen and played some the guitars from the better workshops there and also a couple of violins. They are usually stunning and well crafted. The violin you shared looks more like a Chinese entry level violin that was finished in a Paracho workshop, though it may be fine for a beginner.

The best thing is to try several violins at a shop if at all possible where you live. Or if you need to buy online then look for a shop with a trial period or good return policy and good reputation, like Shar or Fiddlershop. Both set up their instruments well and ship internationally, and both start about $160 for entry level outfits.

As the price goes up so does the quality and sound usually, and $400 would get you a very good beginner outfit. There is no reason to spend $1000 or $2000 on a beginner instrument under any circumstances.

Using one from your school for now may be a great idea, and as for renting, that’s more of a personal choice. I generally feel it’s just a way to lose money since most shops give you only 50 to 75% credit when you do buy. And the quality of rental instruments varies a lot too from quite good to barely usable.

Wishing you the very best success and enjoyment in your playing!

April 24, 2020, 5:40 PM · $200 is a price level where you have to shop carefully. I don't think anyone will say $200 is categorically "not good enough" for a beginner. There are some decent student violins in that price range. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of barely-playable junk in that price range.

As for the violins from Paracho, I found this explanation on the same website:
https://www.guitarrasdeparachomichoacan.com/informacion-importante/333-aclaracion-acerca-de-los-tipos-de-contrabajos-o-tololoches-que-se-fabrican-en-paracho

If I understand this correctly, they only keep factory violins in stock; workshop or bench-made violins are made to order. So any violin in their online catalog (and I see that the most expensive violin there is about $340) is a factory-made violin.

April 24, 2020, 7:45 PM · @Andrew - yes I totally agree, at $200 it’s not a guarantee of quality, it depends on the setup and the shop you purchase from, some are well known for selling good beginner instruments in that price range and some aren’t. And of course, I’d suggest avoiding eBay and Amazon in that price range for your first instrument.
April 25, 2020, 4:39 AM · Thanks for your recommendations guys, I will do so then, use the one they will lend me in the school and wait for a while and then go see if any on Paracho convince me

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe