Solo violin recital

April 24, 2020, 12:03 AM · Hello! I'm trying to find some interesting rep for solo violin (outside of the more standard Bach, Paganini, Ysaye) for an online recital. If you know of anything you think should be heard more often let me know!

Replies (14)

April 24, 2020, 1:17 AM · Maybe The Devil’s Trill or Chopin’s Nocturne Op. 9, No. 2, or anything by Fritz Kreisler.
Edited: April 24, 2020, 4:41 AM · Geminiani sonata. Kreisler Intro and Scherzo. Devil’s Trill was recorded by Andrew Manze sans accompaniment. Miklos
Rosza Sonata. Max Reger. John Harbison Songs of Solitude.
April 24, 2020, 3:32 AM · Another vote for Reger. Bartok is good, too. Telemann for something light, Ernst for something flashy.
April 24, 2020, 5:11 AM · Prokofiev's Sonata for Solo Violin, Op.115 is very interesting, too.
April 24, 2020, 7:17 AM · There are some pieces by Hindemith - a very long time since I heard them so not sure about musical content or difficulty. There are also two works by Carl Nielsen - both of which used to be on Youtube, one played by Hilary Hahn. I seem to remember that some of Heinrich Biber's works were for solo violin.
April 24, 2020, 7:45 AM · A trip to IMSLP will give you a thorough list of what's available. Recommendations here, however, are equally valuable because you know at least someone thinks those pieces are good.
April 24, 2020, 9:22 AM · I love performing Eventyrsuite (Fairy Tale Suite) by Bjarne Brustad. It is not often performed and think that is a shame.
April 24, 2020, 9:22 AM · There is Biber's Rosary sonatas which I believe are violin alone
April 24, 2020, 11:00 AM · Another vote for Biber; I do NOT understand why his music is not more widely known and admired. A good piece for recital would be his Passacaglia.
Edited: April 24, 2020, 4:13 PM · You never hear this, but I think it's great.

April 24, 2020, 4:18 PM · And I believe some works in Hilary Hahn's new encore album are for solo violin?
April 24, 2020, 7:01 PM · I think you're right Lydia. she has a lot of unaccompanied stuff in her reportoire outside of Bach and Ysaye
April 25, 2020, 10:39 AM · I'm sure one can play Syrinx on the violin ...
April 25, 2020, 10:07 PM · The only solo work by Biber is the Passacaglia, the last of the Rosary Sonatas. Pisendel also has a solo sonata. Westhoff has 6 suites, which probably inspired Bach's S&P. They are easy, but lovely. Tartini has over 40 solo sonatas, I believe. Vilsmayr has some suites, mostly in scordatura, but the first one is in normal tuning. There's a collection called "Assaggi" by a Roman on IMSLP.
There are a number of works based on Paganini's 24th: The Rochberg variations are fairly well known... and some are really nice. Milstein's Paganiniana is a classic... and there is a more recent set by Roman Haas called Short Variation on a Theme of Paganini which I really like.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe