Viola expert in SoCal

Edited: April 23, 2020, 8:28 AM · Where in Southern California can I go to have an expert listen to my viola and then make proper adjustments and string suggestions for the best possible sound?

Replies (12)

April 23, 2020, 3:46 AM · You need to add a title to this post, no one can access it.
Edited: April 23, 2020, 6:52 AM · I have notified Laurie of the no-title issue. There's a good chance the OP doesn't know how to access his/her own thread.
April 23, 2020, 6:52 AM · It's not certain Hennigan can access it!
Edited: April 23, 2020, 11:37 AM · Anyway right now the answer is "nowhere" because the shops are all closed because of Gov. Newsom's statewide lockdown.

When things open up again, you might consider Taylor's Fine Violins in Redlands.

April 23, 2020, 8:22 AM · "southern California" is a pretty large area--just where do you live? Tustin? Santa Monica? where?
April 23, 2020, 4:19 PM · Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I am in Palm Springs but will travel wherever I need to once the statewide lockdown (which we are all aware of) is rescinded.
Edited: April 23, 2020, 7:11 PM · I would recommend Michael Fischer in Silverlake, near LA
April 23, 2020, 6:11 PM · I agree with Lyndon, I’ve heard very good things about Michael Fischer but don’t have direct experience with him, he’s a bit too far away for me. Also Dustin Choi of OC Violin Shop in Buena Park is excellent, he treats every instrument with great care and does the highest quality work.
Edited: April 24, 2020, 12:52 AM · Thank you both Richard and Lyndon. Are either of you familiar with or know of Alex Loskutov? Before I left NYC last September, it was suggested that I look him up.
April 24, 2020, 8:01 PM · I’ve heard his name mentioned positively a few times, he’s in LA and has a shop where he makes custom violins, rents instruments and sells workshop and antique instruments. That’s about all though.
April 24, 2020, 8:05 PM · Tom Metzler in Glendale has a very good reputation
April 24, 2020, 9:00 PM · Again I agree totally with Lyndon, I’ve been thinking about an early Mirecourt violin they have now. I don’t have any direct experience with their setup work but I’d expect it to be first rate from their restored violins for sale.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe