DIY Duets

April 21, 2020, 12:48 PM · I was listening to WQXR recently and they played a concerto for two trumpets and both trumpet parts were played by Winton Marsalis - that got me thinking about my remote students. Since I use Doflein which is filled with duets for student and teacher, and as the student progresses more-and-more of them are ones where student and teacher can switch parts.

I've suggested that they pick one or more of the duets, play and record the top line then play the recording in the background while they play the bottom line and record that for posting so that their friends and family can see and hear them playing a duet with themselves.

In addition, the teacher (that would be me) can look and listen closely and make some suggestions to improve.

Perhaps you, fellow violinist, have done this with your students but just in case you haven't it could be an interesting exercise. I'm sure that more than a few of your students can play both lines in a duet.

FWIW: I do not have the tools to record anything (audio and/or video) no smartphone, no recording devices on my computer so I cannot make them a recording of me playing the lines for them to play along with.

Replies (2)

April 21, 2020, 1:40 PM · We are having a lot of fun with this, and my kids are using it in a bunch of ways. For those with smart phones, the free version of Acapella will let them do this with a fun split screen recording that looks surprisingly professional. (Example from one of my kids: https://youtu.be/LBK8jVlEGZg)

My older one is also using Bandlab, which is sound only and works best on a PC or MAC, to layer tracks with his string quartet. This program is also completely free. They are using it more as a pedagogical tool, but the recordings that come out aren't terrible, assuming you have a decent microphone.

April 21, 2020, 2:49 PM · This sounds like a nice idea!

Something I have been doing, is call and response playing with my students. Alternating bars, it really is rather fun, and seems to work quite well through Zoom and FaceTime.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe