Big change (improvement?) of sound by changing set-up

Edited: April 21, 2020, 7:39 AM · So I finally made up my mind to remove my friction pegs and switch to Wittner finetuning pegs. I also removed both my A and E (hill style) fine tuners. They were very light titanium ones.

I changed my rosewood tailpiece and chinrest, both to ebony.

Now it is vibrating very freely. Even by pizzicato, the note sustained much longer and the whole body and even the neck resonate. It is slightly louder. What changed the most is the overtone. I think the sound is much richer now. However, I think a tinny metal sound is mixed in. It's an improvement afterall.

I wish that it's clearly an improvement after the strings settle!

Replies (10)

April 21, 2020, 7:41 AM ·
Edited: April 21, 2020, 7:42 AM · So the tinny sound is from your new strings. So that will go away pretty soon. So there.
April 21, 2020, 7:48 AM · Hi Paul!
I didn't change the strings. Does releasing their pressure for a few days made them behave like new? I wish it's the case.
April 21, 2020, 7:51 AM · Not usually, no. I think you're just getting the true high overtone series of your violin now. The biggest change probably is removing the fine tuners and changing your tailpiece.
April 21, 2020, 8:03 AM · Yes... it's so sensitive, loud and unforgiving now...
Maybe I'm not good enough for a good setup?
April 21, 2020, 9:15 AM · I find that a better instrument does reveal the flaws in one’s playing more. But that’s a good thing!
April 21, 2020, 1:06 PM · If you find that the tinny sound remains after a couple days of playing, you might take it to your luthier for a sound post adjustment. Also, check the afterlength to see how much it’s changed since you removed the tuners. If it’s no longer at the right length, adjusting that may iron out some kinks as well.

Glad to hear that you’re hearing improvements and that you’re happy with your new pegs!

April 21, 2020, 6:20 PM · Also it's possible you didn't install your tailpiece properly, or when you were doing that work something came loose -- a rib seam or something.
April 22, 2020, 9:46 AM · Back then, my violin was very responsive and easier to play in tune.
Now I feel that I need to use more force in both my left and right hand.
Like driving a bus.
The sound is an obvious improvement though.

What happened? What should I do?
Soundpost adjustment helps?

Edited: April 22, 2020, 10:49 AM · 1. Soundpost adjustment can help or hurt. Some instruments are very sensitive to exact SP placement, but some are not.
2. Bridge changes can help. I just removed a bridge that was luthier fit to a violin 20 years ago and replaced it with the one the original maker put on it 70 years ago. Slightly different top curvature and the 70-year old bridge weighs 2.0 g compared to 2.1 g for the newer one. Big improvement in sound and response.
3. String changes can make a big difference. On this same violin I had just installed Warchal Amber strings (with Warchal Avantgard A string) replacing a set of Evah Pirazzi Gold (with a Peter Infeld Pt-plated E).

The result of this was a little drop in apparent depth & power but a big improvement in clarity ("crispness" where I want it) and sensitivity to bowing.

Just saying!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe