Peak SMS-50 issues

April 20, 2020, 9:03 AM · I've the Peak SMS-50 that I bought from Shar music some months back. I got it during a sale at a significant discount.

https://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Music-Stands-Accessories/Peak-SMS-50-Music-Stand.axd

I really like this stand...but the desk will no longer tighten enough. Until recently it wouldn't slide down or spin around when I tried to make a note or have any weight on it at all. Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to fix it? I don't NEED another stand if I can find a way to fix this. I keep checking that the clamps and adjusters are tight.

Obviously I'm not transporting it right now, and considering I'm seated for orchestra rehearsals when I do this may not matter much. I do prefer to practice standing however...

Replies (6)

Edited: April 20, 2020, 9:47 AM · Look for a screw on the clamp fitting. Hard to describe without pictures...

The concept is the same as a quick release bicycle seat.

April 20, 2020, 10:35 AM · I didn't think about that, and I do see what you mean. I will play with it after my Zoom violin lesson after work.
April 20, 2020, 12:23 PM · It's hard to tell from the available pix, but It looks like you should take off the tightening device nut, and probably then there's a bolt sticking out that you can take out, pushing on it and popping it out from the other side. Then I'd take the two pieces apart and rough up all the big round faces that provide friction against each other with some scratches. Just a couple of scratches on each face with a knife point or similar should do it. Then reassemble. It shouldn't take much.
Edited: April 20, 2020, 8:13 PM · All it needed was a bit of attention from a screwdriver, just didn't notice that screw before both of you mentioned it. Thanks!

Now I will go ponder why my Jon Paul bow needs so much rosin. I swear it eats it, and it doesn't deposit it on the strings near as much as my Codabow. Gone are the days when I rosin twice a week, hah!

Edited: April 21, 2020, 6:27 PM · I'm glad the screw on the stand did the trick for you. Everyone "discovers" this detail about Peak stands at some point -- long after the instruction manual has gone to the landfill.

One possibility is that your Jon Paul isn't actually taking the rosin as you're applying it. You're rubbing your rosin against the bow, but it's not transferring. That would explain why it's not coming off on your strings. I have no idea why that might be except that possibly the hair isn't clean. You can clean your rosin hair pretty well with several alcohol "prep pads" (the kind that are used by diabetics to clean the site of their insulin injections, available in your drug store in boxes of 50 or 100 for cheap). Avoid getting alcohol onto the stick or into the nooks and crannies of the tip or the frog. Has your Jon Paul ever been for a re-hair, or are you using the hair that came with it originally? I always wonder about "original bow hair," whether it's just the cheapest junk they can put on there (for example counterfeit or artificial horsehair).

Edited: April 21, 2020, 8:23 PM · Both the JonPaul Corona and my Codabow Prodigy are new (the latter was switched out by the store when my previous Codabow needed a re-hair - long story). Unlike the Codabow, the Jon Paul had no rosin at all when it arrived - my Codabow Prodigy did come with a base of rosin.

It's quite possible that I've not actually rosined it properly for a new bow. I prefer it, and the sound, over the Codabow. I've had it for 6-8 weeks now, use it almost daily, and it's possible that I've just applied the bare minimum of rosin for how I use it. I DO use the Codabow, but only one or 2 days out of the week, the JP is used most days. It DOES deposit a little rosin on the strings - whereas the Codabow deposits a massive amount of rosin (I barely rosin that bow currently - but it doesn't get played near as much as my Jon Paul.

Alcohol in any form is amazingly hard to find in Indianapolis right now due to you know what. People hoard amazing things. Before I do a serious application of rosin to that bow I will see if I can find some pads.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe