Splendid Isolation

Edited: April 17, 2020, 4:15 PM · "Splendid Isolation". In the present Covid-19 situation what better name than this for an Irish fiddle tune! It was composed back in the '70s and is performed here, http://youtu.be/d9xnvijV7Y4, by the composer Brendan McGlinchey himself.

On the Irish music website thesession.org/tunes/200 there are 11 versions of the sheet music (about par for the course!) which can be downloaded and printed without charge. Version 7 apparently comes fairly close to what McGlinchey plays in the video, but note that he used his "composer's privilege" to play the tune first as a thoughtful slow air before seguing into the quick reel.

The story about the genesis of the tune is that Brendan was in Dublin airport waiting for a plane to take him back to London. He was tired and depressed after a trip to Ireland that hadn't gone as well as expected, and the tune just happened.

Many years ago I was at an Irish music workshop in Ireland with Brendan McGlinchey as the tutor, very good he was, too. Afterwards I got to play in a session with him and other tutors, but, for the avoidance of doubt, I must make it quite clear that on that occasion my "playing" was "listening, watching, and learning" ;)

Replies (2)

Edited: April 18, 2020, 10:43 AM · Thanks so much Trevor. This is in line with a current exploration of how some fast music can sound amazing when played with variations of speed and phrasing. I will enjoy diving into this......
April 21, 2020, 6:22 PM · That's someone who really knows how to play!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe