Recovering from injury

April 16, 2020, 12:50 AM · I managed to strain my biceps and tear both forearms (left worse than right) back in November while lifting weights. I didn't practice for a few months because my forearms and left hand would hurt. I'm not back 100 percent yet and I found that I have developed bad habits to compensate for lack of motion and pain. I tend now to vibrato from my forearm rather than from the wrist, resulting in a tight, fast vibrato that I don't particularly like. Additionally I find my lower thumb joint and muscle becomes sore after about a half hour as I'm applying too much pressure with my thumb on the violin neck. I started recording myself periodically and noticed sometimes I drop my wrist inwards on playing the 3rd or 4th finger typically on the A string. I don't know if these issues are all related or just all became apparent when trying to figure out how to solve this one problem.

What are some recommendations to try to resolve this and get back to normal? I have tried adjusting the position of the violin higher by raising the shoulder rest which seems to help the vibrato but now increases the thumb issues.

Thanks for the help

Replies (2)

April 16, 2020, 5:00 AM · It sounds as if you still need physical therapy and also you need to work with a violin teacher who specializes in helping rehabilitate injured violinists.

If you can't do that, my advice is to get back to basics and start working as if you were a beginner again, playing simple music where you can concentrate on proper hand/wrist/finger positions without worrying about the complexity of the music.

April 16, 2020, 5:08 AM · Thanks. I figured similarly and picked up my 30 year old Suzuki books and did the exercises in them this week to try to fix the issues.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe