Violin Identification

Edited: April 15, 2020, 7:04 PM · Hi,
I have a full size violin that was bought from Belmont Music Centre in 2013 for $20NZD and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it, like age or country or anything.
It has a pattern carved in the scroll, and has an ebony fingerboard.
It has no label inside.
The case is made in W-Germany so I'm guessing it would be 1950s-1980s (assuming the case was the original for the violin), the music centre we bought it from got it second hand in the early 1990s.
Thanks!

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Violin

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Full Size Violin

Replies (22)

April 20, 2020, 8:02 PM · The conclusion is that it is a German trade violin probably Markneukirchen after 1910 and before 1940.
A couple of people said Schönbach though,
And a couple of people thought it might be post WW2 because it looks a lot newer and has harder looking varnish and the case is made in W-Germany.
April 20, 2020, 8:57 PM · Before you tune it up to play it, check the setup - The bridge appears to be on backwards, and there may be other issues as well.
April 20, 2020, 9:40 PM · @Charles Zacks the bridge isnt on backwards but it is bending towards the fingerboard even though the bridge feet are flat on the violin.
Ill probably have to get a new bridge after lockdown.
April 20, 2020, 10:04 PM · That shield on the back of the scroll looks like a brand I've seen many times called "conservatory."
Edited: April 20, 2020, 10:53 PM · Scott Cole
Yeah a couple of other people have said that too.
I have looked online but cant find any other violins with the same scroll carving.
April 21, 2020, 12:17 AM · I agree with Charles
Shouldn't it be this way round with the 90 degree angle on the tailpiece side?
https://i0.wp.com/www.davidfinckluthier.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Op22BSide-and-Bridge.jpg?ssl=1
April 21, 2020, 12:25 AM · The bridge does indeed look backward, and the E string is cuting into it, but that isn't what the OP is asking however.
April 21, 2020, 2:03 AM · Yes it's definitely either backwards or bent, I thought the bridge might have got bent from hitting the lid of the case as it doesn't have a strap to hold it in.
Yeah I also noticed that the E string was cutting into the bridge.

Does this look backwards?

20200421_184327

20200421_184205

1587452377142-2072903953

April 21, 2020, 2:19 AM · the bridge is warped not backwards, conservatory violin is not a brand, and while I have seen many carved back of pegbox, I've never seen that particular design, it likely a early 20th century Markneukirchen, Schoenbach production violin as you have already been told repeatedly
Edited: April 21, 2020, 2:39 AM · Lyndon Taylor
Do you think it would be worth replacing it?
I don't know how much it would cost to change a violin bridge.
I know a cello bridge is a couple of hundred dollars NZD...
Edited: April 21, 2020, 3:10 AM · yes, I charge $60 for a new top quality French bridge fitted, other people charge more, new bridge and new strings are a must for that violin and well worth it.

you also need to have the soundpost, fingerboard and pegs checked

Edited: April 21, 2020, 4:11 AM · Thanks Lyndon :-)
I assume thats $60US?
I'm in New Zealand.
I'm getting new strings online next week when we go into Covid-19 level 3 after lockdown ends, but wont be able to get a bridge probably until level 2.
May 6, 2020, 12:46 AM · I have Mittenwald violin dated 1695. It is obviously very old, and battle scared. It is incredibly light and play's beautifully, I love it. The label is written in old German. I have not been able to decipher it,and some of the label has disintegrated. If the date is correct it has to be a Koltz. Any feedback would be great.
May 6, 2020, 12:57 AM · most labels are fake so that doesn't say much
May 6, 2020, 6:17 AM · David - nobody would be able to tell you whether this is an authentic Klotz without pictures. Maestronet.com would be the place to go for an expert opinion, but according to the balance of probabilities the date is almost certainly spurious
Edited: May 6, 2020, 2:48 PM ·

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MQbCdYMRdqByXg4k8

Here is a label in my factory made Klotz for comparison.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QgWQS5HTwUEvLjhc8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QUEdTTRHCpwHchHY7

May 7, 2020, 12:00 AM · Thanks I'll try it. If it is authentic what would it be worth. I don't have it insured. I have no intention of selling it. I have had her for 25 years. I'm 81 and busk regularly.
May 7, 2020, 12:06 AM · try posting pictures on maestronet.com, no point in speculating without pictures
May 7, 2020, 12:14 AM · I'll give it a go but I'm not real good at these things. A pick from my phone seems to be too big to go.
May 7, 2020, 6:33 AM · Don’t you wish that those old violins could tell you their story?
Mine’s only 100 but I still wonder who owned her previously.
May 7, 2020, 6:54 AM · Yes, every owner should keep a short log of what they played, where and with whom and pass it on to the next owner. I don't suppose any of my violins ever hit the big time, but just to know they played hymn tunes in a country church would be welcome
May 8, 2020, 7:11 PM · Sort of keeping your oil change records in your glove box.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe