San Francisco Conservatory (Kay Stern) vs. Jacobs School of Music

Edited: April 14, 2020, 6:45 PM · Hello, Everyone! I have been accepted to the San Francisco Conservatory of Music and Jacobs School of Music as a graduate student. For San Francisco, I have been placed in Professor Kay Stern's violin studio.

I have a question about Ms. Stern for those who have experienced her teaching: What is she like? How is her teaching style? What does she usually focus on during her lessons? She seems like a very nice person, and an incredible violinist.

Also, what do you think is the main difference between getting a degree at JSoM versus SFCM? I would appreciate any input and opinions on these two schools.

Thank you so much!

Replies (6)

April 14, 2020, 7:57 PM · If you haven't had a lesson with Ms. Stern, have you considered contacting her for a trial lesson (obviously right now it would have to be over Skype/FaceTime/Zoom etc)? If you have been assigned her studio she clearly has an interest in having you study with her and attend the conservatory so I imagine she would be open to a trial if she isn't too busy/overwhelmed.
April 14, 2020, 8:31 PM · Likewise doesn't it matter who you study with at Jacobs?
April 15, 2020, 11:06 AM · Like the similar discussion about Jacobs vs. Manhattan, San Francisco has one of the highest costs of living in the country. Add an extra $1000 per month just to be there.
April 15, 2020, 12:53 PM · Joel, that's just for rent!
Right?
Optimistic!!
April 15, 2020, 3:31 PM · Vic,-- Right. Add an extra $1000 on top of a normal rent, for a single bedroom in a shared apartment.
Edited: April 16, 2020, 12:01 AM · I was curious... Looks like on-campus room and board fees are similar at both schools. If you want to live off-campus while at SFCM, though, expect that it would be a lot more expensive.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe