Violin bright or dark sounding

April 12, 2020, 7:07 PM · Would you consider my violin to be bright or dark sounding?

https://voca.ro/jeBkis5P8Tv

Which is better, bright or dark sounding violins? Which sound do you prefer? Also, are generally more expensive violins dark or bright?
Do professionals prefer brighter sound?

Replies (10)

April 12, 2020, 7:38 PM · It sounds on the mellow side to me. As to which is better, that really is a personal preference. It seems most people today ( non-professionals at least) prefer more mellow or darker violins so I think there are more of them being made. For me personally I tend to prefer the mellow sound; I have a very mellow sounding violin that I love, but I also have a very bright violin that I like and play regularly. ( I’m not a professional violinist though).
Edited: April 12, 2020, 10:09 PM · Dark violins for recording, bright ones for the concert hall. Or at least that's a very simple way of looking at it.
From your recording it's really impossible to tell for sure, but I think it's on the darker side.
Edited: April 13, 2020, 7:37 AM · Wouldn't you prefer the third option, a violin that would do either, on request??
April 13, 2020, 1:59 PM · "Dark" can have different meanings. On one hand, it can mean depth, which is ideal when paired with brilliance.

On the other hand, "dark" can also mean wooly or fuzzy, and that is both entirely different and not especially desirable. Most instruments at the lower end tend to one extreme or the other: wooly, or bright.
Students often prefer wooly, and their teachers prefer bright because they project.

April 13, 2020, 8:33 PM · Actually it seems that people with dark instruments try to brighten them up, whereas people with bright instruments try to darken them up!
April 13, 2020, 8:38 PM · When I was shopping for a violin, a local teacher who is also an excellent pro violinist advised me, "Paul you tend to play sweetly so you should avoid violins that are very sweet sounding." His reasoning was that I would entirely confine myself to that part of the sound spectrum and it would limit my growth as a violinist. He encouraged me to find a violin with significant brightness, which I did. But it is not a glaringly bright violin either.
April 15, 2020, 3:39 PM · I agree with Michael.
April 18, 2020, 5:20 PM · So maybe a violin that is between bright and dark is good?
April 18, 2020, 5:43 PM · To me it doesn't particularly matter as long as the instrument resonates. Which is true of both my violin and viola
Edited: April 23, 2020, 3:09 AM · After listening to the recording, it sounds as though your instrument may be leaning towards the dark side.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe