I miss....

April 9, 2020, 8:00 PM · I miss in-person lessons.
I tried online but it's not even close.
I miss going to orchestra rehearsals and hanging out with the gang.
I hope this is over soon.

Replies (21)

April 9, 2020, 8:23 PM · Sadly we're in for the long haul, in my opinion. It's good to reflect on what we miss during quarantine, but we have to make the most of what we've been given---it doesn't seem likely to go back to normal soon. Quarantine itself may present new opportunities that we couldn't pursue during the busy scramble of scheduled life...
April 9, 2020, 9:00 PM · Yeah, we're probably in it for the long haul but I'm still hoping for some normalcy when the time is right. I miss: orchestra, chamber music, performing, in-person lessons, hanging out with music students.
April 9, 2020, 9:21 PM · Even if we go back to in-class teaching in the fall, I'm going to take precautions. Nobody but me in my office until January, that's my plan. Meetings, office hours, and appointments can be done by zoom.

As a society, we really need to think about what we've learned here.

April 9, 2020, 9:27 PM · I do miss teaching my students in person but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much we are getting done through zoom and facetime lessons. I have found such lessons to require a different kind of focus on my part, and there is a definite learning curve as well. The first time I taught five hours of online lessons in a row, I was completely drained. The second time, it was not too much more tiring than teaching five hours in person would have been.

What I miss terribly is being on stage with my colleagues, playing great music to an audience that includes students and dear friends.

Edited: April 9, 2020, 10:30 PM · Even if we're lucky and it gets over soon, it will be summer, you won't have in person lessons until september :(
Miss rehearsals? OMG no. Let them be.
April 9, 2020, 10:47 PM · I've had the same experience as Mary. They went surprisingly well, especially after my first day doing them. I might make a thread about it. I do still find them more tiring than regular lessons, perhaps because the entire time is spent playing, instead of partially on them removing their violin from the case, rosining the bow, etc...
April 10, 2020, 7:44 AM · Yes. Its wall to wall teaching instead of maybe 80% duty cycle. Better value for the client (in that one way), but no chance to take a snack or such. You could say that lessons will be 55 minutes but nobody wants to do that. Just makes you seem cheap.
April 10, 2020, 7:50 AM · It does not make you look cheap IMO. It makes you look normal: Like every other human being you need a break once in a while.
April 10, 2020, 9:12 AM · Albrecht, you're right, but already teachers have the problem that some of their clients feel they're being somehow "ripped off" by being expected to continue their lessons in the online format for the same fee. Of course we know that's BS but it's still out there.
Edited: April 10, 2020, 9:43 AM · Another reason online is better value for me is that I get to warm up before my online lesson at home, which means I play better!!!
April 10, 2020, 10:54 AM · Online lessons of any sort may be the new normal, just as business video conferencing became the new normal about 10 yrs ago during the last U.S. recession when companies started to cut travel as part of their cost cutting measure (in addition to mass layoffs).

I've always worked from home (occasionally going to HQ). But I do miss the face-to-face interaction with people before covid-19. I do miss going to concerts. I do miss going to parks and museums with my family. But I'm blessed that I have my wife and children to enjoy and spend quality time with in this shelter-in-place situation.

Stay safe everyone. As the old saying goes, "this too shall pass".

Edited: April 10, 2020, 3:05 PM · You and your Zoom:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2560078324265667&set=gm.1097388107286000
April 10, 2020, 3:24 PM · It was banned by google, google don't want its workers to use it. It was sued by a shareholder for fraud, overstating security claims and hiding privacy/security flaw, which I've heard it has many.
The funniest thing is that I had never heard of Zoom until now.
Edited: April 10, 2020, 3:46 PM · I expect the reason you had never heard of Zoom is that their target audience until recently has been internal users at large companies. I've been using it in that context for a year or two, and I like it. I think most issues related to Zoom are that it's a highly flexible tool, where if you want extra restrictions on the public internet, you have to specify that in your account and meeting options. It's not a single-end-user service that's restrictive by default, because on your corporate internet with only internal access, you don't have "zoombombing", and the overhead to lock down meetings would be unneeded overhead. But for public internet use you need to read and understand instructions for how to restrict access.
Edited: April 10, 2020, 3:59 PM · But the question is, why use that shady Zoom?
When there's free Skype and WhatsApp, which are well more trustable? Especially for us that only have one student at the same time,
April 10, 2020, 3:58 PM · WhatsApp doesn't use accounts, it's only by phone number.
April 10, 2020, 3:58 PM · It's not shady. Maybe think of it like a power tool - without reading the instructions and following a few safety guidelines you could get hurt using it while doing a lot of damage. But once you've done that you can get a lot of productive work done.
Edited: April 10, 2020, 4:44 PM · It's probably the shadiest of them all, the best example for that meme. Just google it.
Students from helicopter parents could use their parents accounts. And there are other solutions.
Like you said, it's stupid. There's no excuse for school's dumbness.
April 11, 2020, 12:20 AM · https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/schools-might-start-to-ban-zoom-over-privacy-concerns.html

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe