Teachers - how do you advertise online fiddle lessons?

Edited: April 5, 2020, 2:53 AM · Hello all, I’m a fiddle teacher and I was just wondering how all you other fiddle/violin teachers out there advertise Skype/online lessons? Is there any particular inexpensive or free sites to advertise on? I’m currently looking to slightly expand my teaching studio with a few more online/skype lessons.
Thanks in advance!

Replies (4)

April 6, 2020, 5:08 AM · I haven't done anything special to advertise that I'm giving online lessons, although I will probably add something to my web-site's home page.

I don't even advertise locally, so I am not about to advertise online. I get my students in two ways -- 1) word of mouth from local music teachers and satisfied parents of current and former students; 2) from my web-site. I've coded my own web-site so it's not flashy, it doesn't show fancy pictures, it doesn't start blaring music the moment a person gets to the home page. What it does it load very fast, it says what it needs to say, and it gets results.

Since you are already a fiddle teacher, how have you gotten your current students? That's the best way to find new students. Yes, perhaps someone from across the continent or across the globe might find you through some online music-teacher advertising site, but you can't count on that.

Any music-teacher advertising site is a hit-or-miss proposition because people searching online need to be able to find that particular site. And someone entering a search term such as "music lessons, New Hampshire" will only find a general music-teacher advertising site if that site has used the term "New Hampshire" in its keywords. That's something you can't count on.

I did sign up for a music-teacher listing site a number of years ago because it was free. I can't recall what the site was, but I have never gotten anybody contacting me and saying "I found you on such-and-such web-site."

To find a site that might be helpful, you should do your own online search under whatever terms you think a potential student might use to find an online music teacher. That will help you figure out what sort of site to advertise on.

Good luck!

Edited: April 6, 2020, 11:32 AM · Put up youtube videos of yourself playing. (Seems you are already doing that.) Include promotional information at the front end (short) and the back end (more details).

Advertise in the local papers. Do your local churches have newsletters? Buy advertising in them. If you were hoping that successful advertising would be free, I think guess again.

April 6, 2020, 11:38 AM · I'm only teaching online lessons to my existing (normally in-person) student.
April 10, 2020, 7:03 PM · Ok thanks everyone! I have done all of my advertising through Facebook which has worked really well but was just wondering if there’s other ways that also work well :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe