Advice on choosing between teachers?

Edited: April 4, 2020, 7:16 PM · Hello
During this year I've been thinking about my teacher. She doesn't correct my mistakes or give enough feedback to improve, she sometimes corrects my intonation or bowing but that is once in a blue moon. I've asked her about how to improve different aspects of my technique but her response doesn't help.

Because of the corona virus I started online lessons, and it has worked really well so here is my dilemma.

My last teacher gives online classes (we had to finish lessons because she moved to another country to get a master in music) and I really liked her lessons, I really noticed my improvement. Also, both of us had great chemistry and she didn't just teach me violin, she gave me life lessons.

So, I don't know if I should stay with this teacher or start lessons again with my last one.

(A little bit of context...
I have been playing for around three years. I am learning scales in 3 octaves, playing Kayser and finishing vivaldi a minor. I want to get better. I would love to study music but I'm also realistic, I know is almost impossible for meto study music. But I want to try to get better and play the best I can.)

Replies (11)

April 4, 2020, 7:53 PM · If a teacher doesn’t respond to your requests for help and doesn’t help you improve every lesson, I’d say it’s time for a new teacher. My most recent teacher was like that and I’ve been learning online for the last 3 weeks and making better progress then I did with her.
If you can take online lessons with a teacher that helped you and you had good chemistry with, I’d say that’s a great option. There are lots of ways to study music too, everything from online, to college classes to a minor in music, etc. good luck!!
April 4, 2020, 8:42 PM · No teacher is good for every student. It sounds to me as if you already know what is best for you, there is no shame in choosing to return to an earlier teacher if you think/know that it will work for you.
April 4, 2020, 8:52 PM · Stay with the teacher that you are improving the most with. This is a no-brainer.

You are buying a service. Why would you buy an ineffective thing if you could get an effective one? Ineffective lessons are a waste of money.

April 5, 2020, 2:50 AM · Life's too short for bad teaching, especially with how short life is these days.
Edited: April 10, 2020, 7:09 PM · Not all teachers are good for every student. Go with the teacher you feel you will learn the most from and work the best with. All the best!
I have had numerous teachers and some of them didn’t work well for me at all. I have also had some really amazing teachers that have taught me so much. (Including the one I have now!!)
April 11, 2020, 8:59 AM · I agree with everyone above! Sounds like you already know the answer. Remember that you can also be your own best teacher in the meantime with a video camera and a mirror!
Edited: April 11, 2020, 11:13 AM · "She doesn't correct my mistakes or give enough feedback to improve, she sometimes corrects my intonation or bowing but that is once in a blue moon." The worst teachers...
April 11, 2020, 11:37 AM · If a teacher behaves like an audience, they should be paying to hear you, you shouldn't be paying them.
April 14, 2020, 9:11 AM · A private lesson is indeed a paid service, but also a Meeting of Minds..
April 16, 2020, 9:06 AM · Easy decision. Get a list of teachers. You can search online, you can send an email to the local high school or community college orchestra director as they usually manintain a list of instructors. Then start setting up trial lessons. Be clear with the potential teacher its a trial lesson. Often they are for free. You will then play a piece you think represents your strengths and weaknesses, and see what the teacher finds as problems, and how he/she would fix them. Then you can decide who's best. It will be very enlightening.
Edited: April 16, 2020, 10:50 AM · Thanks for all the responses!
I talked with my parents and will be taking lessons with my last teacher. Maybe in the future I'll look for a list of teacher but right now I think this is the best choice.
Hope you are all safe!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe