Acoustic vs Electric Violin - How can one tell the difference?

April 3, 2020, 10:33 AM · I've been listening to this tune on YouTube and I noticed the violin part at the beginning. Do you think an acoustic or an electric violin way used in this recording? Is there a giveaway? I thought it might be electric because everything else, including the vocals, sounds a bit electric! And do you have suggestions on how to get more volume on really high notes? Or do you think there was some recording studio effects were employed here?

thanks,

Replies (10)

April 3, 2020, 10:37 AM · It's eletric, it could even be a sintetizador.
April 3, 2020, 10:41 AM · Synthesizer, not a violin at all.
Edited: April 4, 2020, 1:50 AM · It's electric. The intonation isn't accurate enough for it to be a synthesiser. (no offence intended to the violinist)
April 3, 2020, 8:23 PM · If your high notes are quieter than your other notes you can use a compressor.
April 3, 2020, 8:56 PM · My ears are convinced it's an electric violin.
April 4, 2020, 12:25 AM · The violinist is a member here, but I don't know how active.
https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=Wombat

And it might be an acustic violin with added chorus and a compressor. Perhaps with a contact mic.

April 4, 2020, 12:39 AM · One of the best ways to tell is to cut the power to the building. If the volume doesn't change you know it's an acoustic.
April 4, 2020, 1:48 AM · You can get electrics for $4 000. I'd hope they sound beautiful for that money! But yeah, if there's enough electrickery you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between acoustic and electric.
April 13, 2020, 10:19 AM · Using Google, I did some additional research on the recording in an effort to identify the violinist and the instrument used if possible. The recording was done sometime between 1988 and 1990 to best of my knowledge; it was not commercially released at the time by a record label but instead was "released" (or perhaps escaped) through a number of bootleg recordings. According to an image of a demo tape sleeve, the violinist appears to be Tony Selvage, an electric violinist and violist based in southern California. On another note, Brian Wilson re-recorded and released this song in 2004 and with what appears a much more acoustic production.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe