Hans Sitt

March 26, 2020, 6:49 AM · Hi! I wanted to do some research into Hans Sitt I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books or journal articles or something for me to look at?

Replies (12)

March 26, 2020, 8:50 AM · I'm sorry to say that I find Sitt's studies to be about the dreariest of any. Almost as bad as Alard and Dancla.
March 26, 2020, 8:51 AM · I don't want to be guilty of thread drift at response 1, but I was thinking the same thing about Mazas the other day - he came 16 years after Kreutzer. What did he think he was offering that Kreutzer hadn't provided?
Edited: March 26, 2020, 8:56 AM · Musicality haha. Rather do a Mazas than a Kreutzer
March 26, 2020, 4:06 PM · I'm sitting the rest of this one out. :)
March 26, 2020, 4:17 PM · Hans sit, Hans stay, Hans shake.
March 26, 2020, 9:08 PM · All right Erik that was pretty good.
Edited: April 2, 2020, 4:47 AM · Hi,
for decades, I had known only pretty boring exercises by Sitt. Then, when I wanted to search for those for some technical issues of my violin student, I by chance came across some really wonderful romantic viola pieces, at intermediate level.
The album leaves op.39 are gorgeous! Or the romance op.72. These are barely known, the romance, for example, has an orchestra accompaniment which you cannot buy, anywhere.
It is really worth looking at his compositions. Maybe he defined himself as a player and teacher, only, and didn't bother making his pieces known to a broader public, but the ones I mentioned above are really some gems I found!
Edited: April 2, 2020, 7:14 AM · I like Sitt.
It's pronounced zit, unless you are German, in which case it is pronounced Sitt, lol.
April 2, 2020, 12:03 PM · Sitt is a zit on the violinist's bum.
April 3, 2020, 4:30 AM · So, I stand on my feet and sitt on my hans.
April 3, 2020, 6:56 AM · To the OP Lucy,

I wish I could help but I am not aware of anything and could not find much with a bit of Google searching. But I am a fan of Sitt. While working the Introducing the Positions books I often found the little exercises I liked best were by Sitt. I think he had a good musical sense. And while it's apparently hard to find much about him today it seems he was very well regarded in his day. So if you have any luck I would love to see your findings on him.

Best of luck.

GXS

Edited: April 3, 2020, 8:15 AM · So, Gabriel makes a good point that many of Sitt's studies have found their way into compilations. A really good one is the two-volume set by Charles Levenson.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe