Leclair op. 12

March 24, 2020, 6:43 AM · Hello
Does anyone know where I can get the above sheet music for VIOLIN and not on IMSLP?

I have only found an edition for 2 violas, but I don't want that (weird I know).

Thanks in advance.

Replies (12)

March 24, 2020, 2:19 PM · You want to play a piece for two violas on one violin? You might get more responses if you explained what you're really trying to do.

You can get the piece for two violas on Musescore.com, and then transpose it.

March 24, 2020, 2:25 PM · The pieces are written for 2 violins, but the only available published edition for sale seems to be an arrangement for 2 violas, published by Schott.

Jake, I think IMSLP is really your best option - Sometimes with lesser known or older works, there just isn't much out there. I looked around and couldn't find anything besides the 2 viola edition.

Edited: March 24, 2020, 3:19 PM · You can order a facsimile of the manuscript from OMI:

https://www.omifacsimiles.com/cats/broude.html

If you scroll down to "LECLAIR, Jean-Marie, 1697-1764," you will see the listing as they have several Leclair manuscripts:

[Sonatas, 2 violins/violes, op.12] Second livre de sonates à deux violons sans basse. Œuvre XIIe. On peut jouer ces sonates a deux violes.
Performers’ Facsimiles, 89. New York, [1990]. 26 x 33 cm, 2 partbooks, 47 pp. Line-cut of the Paris, [1747] edition, containing 6 sonatas. Wrappers. $25 [item no.3976]

March 24, 2020, 4:15 PM · Paul I want an edition for 2 violins (as it should be)
March 24, 2020, 10:44 PM · Thank you Dawson for that excellent resource in manuscript reprints!
March 25, 2020, 4:06 AM · Its frustrating though. I like to get a proper bought copy of anything I can
Edited: March 25, 2020, 10:52 AM · Jake - I would consider the facsimiles properly purchased copies. I have the op. 12 and op. 3 editions and they are quite nice.
March 25, 2020, 11:44 AM · Props Dawson,

I never knew such a thing existed. I'll have to remember this if I'm looking for some obscure older stuff.

Jake, I wouldn't worry to much if you're worried about Mr. Leclair and his family not getting the royalties they deserve ;-)

March 25, 2020, 1:04 PM · Jake, does the version for two violins differ from two violas only by transposition by a fifth? If so, that's like 5 mouse clicks in Musescore.
March 26, 2020, 6:07 AM · True, Paul, only 5 mouse clicks--after you have entered all the notes.
Edited: March 26, 2020, 6:46 AM · Albrecht, sorry to have misled. I'd swear I saw the sonata for two violas available on Musescore a few days ago. I must have read the entries too quickly. But it doesn't matter new because apparently a source of printed material has been found.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe