Suggestions needed for film tv or gaming soundbytes

Edited: March 26, 2020, 12:00 AM · Hi,

I've not a trained music teacher but I've just gotten the job of writing an online unit for mixed-experience 12/13 year olds on instruments of the orchestra.

The assessment task is to compose an 8+ bars soundtrack for a key moment in a fairy tale, the idea being that they choose an instrument with appropriate pitch, dynamics and tone colour (at least these 3 elements) for the scene and write a paragraph linking elements of music to emotional moment. They'll use Flat software to compose it.

They might choose the moment the wolf appears on red riding hood's path or the moment the Prince kisses sleeping beauty etc. This frame is meant to link elements of music within the instruments of orchestra content.

My job is to write the material, but I'm not much of a movie goer or gamer (pop culture generally goes over my head), so I'm hoping some teachers or movie buffs (or even parents looking for a project for kids who the virus is keeping at home) may be out there who can help suggest 10-20 second soundbytes that many kids would recognise.

I need things that link specific instruments or particular elements of music to a moment in a narrative. They don't have to be 'classical' or to involve only orchestral instruments, but focus is instruments of orchestra.

They'll be used as examples to illustrate lessons on pitch, duration, tempo, dynamics, tone colour, texture and articulation. And, of course how these elements play on our emotion.

If anyone has any favourite links to free online elements of music avtivities/games that would save me days of playing around cause the colleague who asked for help is extremely hands on and doesn't usually teach with computers.

I'll post it here when it's done (give me a week or two) in case anyone else has been suddenly plunged into classroom teaching online...

Replies (2)

March 24, 2020, 12:31 AM · Every kid knows the Frozen soundtrack.
And the music from Harry Potter.
And probably the most significant Star Wars themes.
And many will know the Fortnite background music.
March 25, 2020, 11:45 PM · Thanks Lydia, I'd thought of those movies, but not fortnite. Also the obvious scenes from jaws and psycho (minus the visuals!). Might compare stars wars brass to a news or current affairs theme too.

Do kids still recognise Lord of the rings, or has it had it's day outside the niche?
Would they have heard pink panther before?

Off to find fortnite on you tube now...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe