Advice for Tzigane

March 22, 2020, 5:54 PM · Here is a trick I just discovered in Tzigane:

There is probably a 95% chance that you struggle to play 2:48 quickly and in time, but Vengerov quickly switches to 2 fingers for the C# and D.

Replies (12)

March 22, 2020, 10:05 PM · ...But he's still not bringing out the melodic notes.
March 23, 2020, 3:35 AM · Scott can you point to a recording of someone who is bringing those melodic notes out? Not a rhetorical question, I am just interested.
March 23, 2020, 8:55 AM · To me that section always sounded like filler where the solo violin is accompanying the orchestra
Edited: March 23, 2020, 10:27 AM · @Jean All I can say is my son spent many hours on this to try to bring out the melodic notes. He was moderately successful.

Edited to add: I think I cued the vid right, but it starts around 6:35.

March 23, 2020, 11:55 AM · If no one else is going to ask I’ll ask. Anyone know what strings Vengerov is using on his violin? Looks like he switched from the evah pirazzi golds.
March 23, 2020, 4:57 PM · It’s hard to be sure, but it looks to me like he has a PI set.
March 24, 2020, 11:03 PM · I thought the same thing at first, but the GDA strings look almost black compared to the obviously purple e string.
March 24, 2020, 11:21 PM · The d,g,a strings are darker but still purple to my eye, I think Thomastik string sets do this except dominants.
March 25, 2020, 12:46 AM · Ray has same G and A strings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt-QwrR-Pjw

Other than the E, these are not PI strings. Probably just some artist line strings Thomastik makes.

March 25, 2020, 5:07 AM · Ray Chen mentioned in a Livestream that he is testing out new strings similar to the PI's for Thomastik.
March 25, 2020, 5:16 AM · congrats to your son, Susan!
Edited: March 25, 2020, 1:18 PM · This is one of those spots I find I need to work on most in the piece aside from the introduction. Mr. Heifetz had a excellent bowing here to bring out the melodic line which I got from Erick Friedman. Friedman opted to do this section completely pizz like Vengerov (no bowed notes). Thanks for the video James. Vengerov has great fingers. Glad to see him back playing after that injury.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe