Finding a violinist to record a solo work?

Edited: April 4, 2020, 2:59 PM · I haven't found an adaptation of La Folia variations for solo violin, so I composed one based on three old arrangements for violin and piano: PDF here, MuseScore here, MIDI here. Just added VideoScore here!

I have been practicing it for over a month and have come to the conclusion that, given my skill level, no amount of work will enable me to do it musical justice (as measured against professional performances of the earlier arrangements). Even if I give myself unlimited takes; some of the variations are just too demanding for me.

However a decent violinist would be able to play it competently without much work. You can see there's nothing crazy or weird going on in the score.

How might I go about finding a decent violinist who would take enough of an interest in this classical piece to study it and send me informal recordings? I would love to hear the piece played competently, even if I have to assemble multiple takes from a cell phone recording.

Replies (10)

March 22, 2020, 2:31 PM · What is the purpose of the recording? Is it so you can hear it while studying the part? Or to improve your edition?
March 22, 2020, 3:01 PM · Contact the American Federation of Musicians and find out what minimum fee would be appropriate for doing this recording for you, and then hire a graduate student at that fee.
Edited: March 23, 2020, 6:25 AM · Looks colossal. I will have a look if you don't mind :)
But I am almost certainly not good enough to record this.
March 23, 2020, 10:40 AM · I would like to thank you Mr. Bookstaber for posting your La Folia a variations and will enjoy many hours working on this new gem!
March 23, 2020, 12:09 PM · I would suggest that you publish this WITHOUT fingerings, as a quick look immediately suggests that some of the fingerings are unlikely to be ones chosen by a skilled player.

(For instance, going from the open E string to the 4th finger A-string harmonic is a deeply unwise color change as well as an unnecessary string crossing.)

March 23, 2020, 12:28 PM · No no ... publish it with fingerings for $5. Then 10 years later you can get $50 for the "urtext" version.
March 23, 2020, 1:03 PM · Copy it out by hand on some staff paper with an oblique dipping pen—with no fingerings, of course. Then you can sell photocopies of "original manuscript" for double that!
March 23, 2020, 3:52 PM · Is this piece is different from the one in Suzuki book? Sry for my ignorance.
Edited: March 24, 2020, 4:10 PM · Ah, Suzuki book 6, IIRC. That is an enjoyable arrangement, but it is technically simpler than either Corelli's or the later three versions I referenced (by Ferdinand David, Maxim Jacobsen, and Fritz Kreisler).

I did write a similarly simplified adaptation, but in g-minor to better fit the violin's range. (Bringing it down a fifth makes it less shrill and, I think, more pleasant to play without piano accompaniment, and especially on the "bright" violins that dominate the affordable end of the spectrum.)

March 24, 2020, 6:11 AM · www.fiverr.com ?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe