Bow - metal parts

March 21, 2020, 7:54 PM · What metals have been used for the screw that tightens and loosens the bow hair? Is there any chance of rusting or corrosion?

Replies (5)

March 21, 2020, 9:04 PM · Depends on the price of the bow.
Expensive bows have silver or gold fittings. Lesser bows usually have nickel-silver. Chinese bows have whatever metal was found that day at the scrapyard.

Any bow with silvery fittings can most likely tarnish, but it's easily fixed with polishing compound and a soft cloth.

Edited: March 21, 2020, 9:24 PM · The screw is steel, and yes, they rust. Don't ever use soap to lube it! Wax.
March 21, 2020, 9:25 PM · The actual tightening screw might be iron or steel but brass could be used. To lighten the frog region of the bow ARCUS has also made titanium screws. I know this because when I wanted a little more (relative) tip weight Bernd Müsing of ARCUS sent me a replacement titanium screw.
March 22, 2020, 5:43 AM · The screw shaft is steel, and the bit-it-goes-into is often brass and wears out.

In some folks, nickel can cause incapacitating skin reactions. Varnish can help.

When a bow maker has made a really good stick, he/she my use precious metals to hike up the price!

March 22, 2020, 7:17 AM · Different materials are possible for the screw, from a basic steel to 12L14, stainless, and titanium. Steel can rust. Stainless and titanium will hold up better. However, what ever is used to lubricate the screw as well as dirt from the hands, works it way under the frog and can things.

The decorative button itself is typically made from nickel, sterling silver, or gold. Though for really cheap and inexpensive bows, who knows? Nickel silver is typically made using 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Depending on the environment and ones chemical composition, the copper tone may start to come out and appear like rust over time. It will polish out.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe