What to do next

Edited: March 21, 2020, 12:01 AM · I know this is a topic that has been posted over and over again, but I guess we’ve all been here. Pieces I have played are Mozart Concertos 4 and 5 with joachim cadenzas (1st movements), and the 1st movements of the Lalo Symphonie Espagnole and Bruch Concerto. Smaller pieces include Bartok Romanian dances and Tchaikovsky Melodie. I like the Vieuxtemps concerto 5 very much but I think it is out of reach in terms of difficulty. Thanks

Replies (5)

March 21, 2020, 1:10 AM · Perhaps the 5th movement of Lalo? Or is that a big jump in difficulty from the first? I'm not sure
Edited: March 21, 2020, 6:55 AM · So long as your prior concertos were played well (performance-polished or at least close to that), you could be ready for Mendelssohn. I'm glad you enjoyed the Melodie by Tchaikovsky -- he wrote some other salon pieces that are harder but very nice, check out the recording by Oistrakh. Other choices could be the Conus or Wieniawski No. 2. Also how's your solo Bach?
Edited: March 21, 2020, 9:43 AM · The 2nd and 3rd movements of Bruch or if you wanted to play something from the 20th century, Kabalevsky and Barber are options. The Spring sonata might be a good choice if you have a pianist friend.

March 21, 2020, 10:04 AM · Paul- Thanks for the suggestions. I realized I haven’t done any solo Bach. Could the Chaccone be an option, or would I need another solo Bach piece before jumping into it?
March 21, 2020, 10:24 AM · I performed the chaconne before having touched a majority of solo Bach. At a glance, some of the fugues are more of a technical challenge than the chaconne. The real difficulty is in its length and building up the stamina to make it through the whole thing.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe