Bach Partita for an intermediate player?

March 20, 2020, 3:06 PM · Dear all, I sincerely enjoy your forum.
Stuck at home like most of us I take my time to practice.
I'm just an intermediate player.
I really enjoy the music of Bach which seems to me so rich of overtones (which motivates me to work on my intonation ;-))
Right now I'm working on the Cello suites (transposed for violin), and there's my first question : which edition do you prefer? I've got one from Schott's which seems to be ok but has some astonishing shifts i it.
The other question is: I'd love to start on the Sonatas and Partita, is there one that could be figured out as the least difficult?
Sure, this is stuff for professionals, but nevertheless I'd love to play a bit or two...

Sorry if it's a presumptous question.

Stay sound and safe AND AT HOME!

Replies (9)

March 20, 2020, 3:54 PM · Most start on the 2nd Partita (D-minor), although I could see some parts of the 3rd Partita (e-major).

My current teacher started me on the Allemande of the 2nd Partita.

March 20, 2020, 4:24 PM · allemande from d minor is the one most people do. Do sarabande from d minor if you feel spicy.
March 20, 2020, 5:41 PM · RCM Grade 8:
Partita No. 2 Giga
Partita No. 3 Bourree
Partita No. 3 Gigue

RCM Grade 9:
Partita No. 1 Courante
Partita No. 2 Allemande
Partita No. 2 Corrente
Partita No. 2 Sarabanda
Partita No. 3 Gavotte en rondeau
Partita No. 3 Loure
Sonata No. 1 Siciliana
Sonata No. 3 Allegro assai

Rankings were a bit different earlier:

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/4806/

March 20, 2020, 6:06 PM · Thanks to all for your help and sorry for not finding the other post.
Now I've got a place to start and can See how far I can get until meeting my teacher again.
I really appreciate your help!
March 20, 2020, 7:40 PM · I did the Partita No.2 Gigue, then the Partita No.3 Gavotte, and am currently working on the Sonata No.2 Fuge and Andante. I think any of the non-polyphonic movements would be perfectly accessible for an intermediate player.
March 20, 2020, 9:17 PM · The best edition of the cello suites for violin is the one by Valerie Arsenault. It's fantastic. Very sparsely fingered and bowed, in keeping with historical accuracy, and beautifully notated, printed on good paper, and spiral bound so it lies flat on your stand. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

For the solo violin sonatas, most people start with the D Minor Allemande or the E Major Gigue.

Edited: March 21, 2020, 5:40 AM · Dear Paul, thanks for the advice, especially regarding the Cello Suites. Unfortunately they don't seem to be on sale in Germany, I'll see if they ship worldwide or if I have to ask relatives or friends...
Do you have an advice as well regarding the partitas?

Edit : obviously this was covered before
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/24440/

Sorry about that!

Edited: March 21, 2020, 6:49 AM · If you have a good teacher then my advice is to buy editions that just have the fewest markings, because your teacher will help you choose fingerings and bowings that are suited to your playing and musically appropriate. However, if you're mostly on your own then the advice (editing) of a qualified master comes in handy. For the Bach solo S&P, I use the Herrmann edition published by Schirmer and it's fine. My teacher changes the bowings a lot. Once in a while there is a fingering that makes no sense to amateur hands. Everyone swears by something different.

I bought my copy of Arsenault's cello suites from Beethoven & Company in Tallahassee. I have no idea if they ship internationally. I don't see why they wouldn't -- everything has a price. :)

March 21, 2020, 8:01 AM · "Edit : obviously this was covered before
https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/24440/"

I think there are some mistakes in that thread in the claim regarding errors in more recent editions - some of those would be due to differences in convention regarding repeating accidentals in a bar for example.

The Bärenreiter edition is available on IMSLP.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe