Things

March 20, 2020, 5:07 AM · If you could go back in time and have a lesson with any musician, who would it be and why?

Actually. They can be living or dead

Replies (17)

March 20, 2020, 6:49 AM · JS Bach of course
March 20, 2020, 9:00 AM · Mozart’s. Dad?

If I were a lot better than I am, just 1 lesson with Paganini would be interesting.

Edited: March 20, 2020, 9:19 AM · Josef Joachim. One of the greatest teachers of the 19th century whose influence on other teachers and players is felt even today.

He was also the first President of Bristol Music Club, of which I am a member.

March 20, 2020, 9:21 AM · Ivan Galamian for me. I like the idea of Bach, but not sure he'd be a great teacher from what I've read of him.
March 20, 2020, 10:01 AM · Man a lesson with Paganini would be very interesting!
March 20, 2020, 10:01 AM · Man a lesson with Paganini would be very interesting!
March 20, 2020, 11:47 AM · Why isn't the title of this thread clearer? By "things" I would suppose a question about the current circumstances or something else, not time travel.

Time travel can be very tricky. You could have a butterfly effect without being aware of it. Impress Paganini with your cellphone and have him give up music altogether? Could impact all the subsequent violin concertos.

Try to make a change for the better? Warn Schubert about the dangers of infection? Schumann about polka? Get Beethoven to write another concerto so that the others don't also stop at one?

I'd pick Beethoven. That way if I didn't listen to him it'd only be fair.

Edited: March 20, 2020, 11:58 AM · I'm with Lyndon: Bach!
If I could study with any violin maker, it would be Nicolo Amati. Not because he was best--I think his father and uncle were the best--but because he was the *teacher* whose students learned the most.
March 20, 2020, 12:32 PM · I'd go back to ancient Rome just to find out what music sounded like then.
(Greece is possible and more exotic, but I suspect Rome would be slightly more relevant)
March 20, 2020, 2:49 PM · William Primrose - he's the one who showed the world what could be done on a viola. Likewise, Michael Tree.
Edited: March 20, 2020, 7:48 PM · Probably Abraham Yampolsky or Paul Kochanski (or maybe Kochanski's teacher Emil Mlynarski)
Edited: March 20, 2020, 4:29 PM · Leopold Auer. No explanation needed.
March 20, 2020, 9:14 PM · Oscar Peterson.
March 20, 2020, 10:53 PM · Lillian Fuchs. I'm a violist with extremely short fingers.
March 21, 2020, 7:12 PM · Henry Mancini- I don't know seems really creative across a wide spectrum.
March 21, 2020, 8:57 PM · J.S. Bach and Biber immediately come to mind.
Edited: March 22, 2020, 9:37 AM · J Ray, Thank you!!
And Catherine, Thank you too! Why isn't Biber a bigger hero in these parts?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe