VLM Diamond - troubleshooting

Edited: March 18, 2020, 9:38 PM · My violin shop is all but shut down, my teacher has suspended lessons until April, and I've no one else to ask. I am also working from home, and pretty much not going out outside of hitting the grocery store and going for walks - like most of us these days.

The link below is to a picture I'm sharing from my Google drive, I don't know any other way to get it here - I obviously don't usually share photos online. I can't find the tag to embed the image

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187478087@N05/49674837071/in/shares-V54mET/

The problem is one of the legs became loose due to my extending it too far, and it came out. No problem, right? The problem became apparent when I went to put it back in. The way the hole is oriented means I cannot do that as the bracket is in the way.

For those who have the VLM Diamonds, do you see the same difference in where the hole is between the two sides? Is there a way around this?

I've only had this SR for barely 2 months - and I cringe at the thought of having to buy yet another SR, I've gone through a few and I do like this one. Currently I'm using my Bon Musica - with a LOT of padding as the treble side digs pretty significantly into my chest.

Advice? Even with a custom Wave CR (it's literally in between the medium and tall) the Diamond is short for me, sadly. If I can fix this then I need to replace with the tall Wave, probably...maybe.

Replies (20)

March 18, 2020, 9:31 PM · I can't help you with your problem, but I'd just like to say that I don't care whether you didn't make your link clickable. It's really not that hard to copy a URL and paste it into Chrome. I will concede that it's harder to do on a phone than it is on a laptop.
March 18, 2020, 9:36 PM · Thanks Paul, it just would be nice if I could embed the image itself. I also just replaced the image with a better one where both brackets have the same orientation :-)
March 18, 2020, 9:50 PM · I can't help with your problem, unfortunately, but is there a reason you find your viva too low? I'm sure it can go quite high. I know someone who uses it on high setting.
Edited: March 19, 2020, 5:56 AM · The Viva is fine in that I NEED a low SR and a very high CR due to a fused neck and very bad shoulders. High SRs are bad for compromised shoulders.

I hope someone who has one sees this before it drops too low in the list - I hate to throw even more money at my SR solution if I can fix this one. I do need a higher CR if I keep the Viva, but I really don't want to have to buy both...

March 19, 2020, 6:28 AM · I use a VLM Diamond, like you with a high CR.

I have not had the same problem, but looking at mine, I can see what might have happened. When the leg came out it probably twisted the cylinder of white plastic around in its housing, taking the hole for the leg underneath the bracket.

Experimenting a bit with mine, I have been able to twist the cylinder back to its position with a small screwdriver shaft inserted into as much of the hole as possible. I guess this depends on how far underneath the housing the cylinder has moved, and whether you can get a solid shaft far enough into the plastic.

It may take a bit of time but in theory you should be able to put it back together again...…..

Fingers crossed!

Edited: March 19, 2020, 10:48 AM · What Melvyn wrote. You cannot really damage it, as long as you do not harm the thread. Plus, if this happened because the foot was screwed in only a little bit - the rest always comes with a long and a short foot. Use the long one on this side! (If you need it higher overall, order a set of high feet, they're not expensive.)

(I have 3 diamonds in permanent use...)

March 19, 2020, 2:25 PM · Thanks for the encouragement, I will see if I've anything with a small enough shaft.
Edited: March 19, 2020, 4:04 PM · Nuska - I hadn't considered getting longer feet. The problem is if the SR is overly high, my (very) arthritic left shoulder becomes unstable. The combination of that + fused neck = very high CR and as low a SR as possible (restless is not an option). My neck doesn't know the difference & my shoulder(s)is/are happy.
March 19, 2020, 4:28 PM · It might be time to switch to (or at least add cello). As a violinist you know all you need to know about how string instruments work. Adding cello is mostly a matter of reorienting your body and your brain. I was handed a cello when I was 14 and joined the local community orchestra the next month. It was the evening following my first formal cello lesson. (I had been playing the cello on my own for a month by then, so I had developed a few bad habits that had been cleaned up that afternoon.)

Cello is far more ergonomic.

Edited: March 19, 2020, 4:36 PM · Totally understandable, as some of us do need a low shoulder rest for various reasons e.g short neck, playing a thick viola with a centered chinrest, etc. I don't know how much more height you can tolerate, but you could probably raise the chest side leg by a notch or two while leaving the shoulder side leg down. This should make a difference. It sounds like a tricky situation, and it really depends on how sensitive you are.
Edited: March 19, 2020, 5:07 PM · Andrew- I would love to add the cello! I've been told, however, that my hands are too small for the intervals...and both hands, fingers, wrists are also arthritic. I've a lot for only being 60.

It's close to a miracle that I can play at all and I'm thankful. I've made a lot of progress since I returned 16 months ago, we've still not found a plateau in my training, I just need to do what I can to keep my broken bits happy.

At some good time I will confirm what I've been told with another cello teacher.

March 19, 2020, 5:09 PM · Catherine, there's also the possibility of playing a 7/8 cello, which I think is more common than a 7/8 violin.
March 19, 2020, 5:21 PM · True, but at the end of the day I want to focus on one instrument, and the violin is going so well! I like to dive in deeply into one thing - if I reach to the point where I can no longer play without aggravating my "broken bits" and here are others than I've mentioned here, then I will consider the cello. I do so love the voice of a cello - and the viola!
March 19, 2020, 6:08 PM · Nuuska, I fixed it! I ruined a pair of embroidery scissors, but I'm too busy practicing to use them anyway, my Diamond is back in business.

I also learned since this happened that my Bon Musica works better for my neck than I thought...outside of the treble side screw that...bites deeply into my chest. A double thickness towel solved that but it isn't a permanent solution. Good to know that SR CAN work.

March 19, 2020, 7:26 PM · I'm glad your Viva is working. Just to let you know: it is very normal to attach extra sponges and foam to a shoulder rest for comfort. People often attach it with rubber bands, duck tape, or similar, and it is often a long-term solution.
March 20, 2020, 3:23 AM · You can try a shorter screw on the chest side of your bonmusica, too!
March 20, 2020, 7:30 AM · Glad it worked! Sorry about the embroidery scissors though.....
March 20, 2020, 11:10 AM · Nuuska, I don't know that it CAN be any shorter without the rest itself hitting the body of my violin. Good idea though.
March 20, 2020, 11:13 AM · I don't know if you can get shorter feet for the Bon Musica. You might have to use a tool to cut the screw shorter or try a shorter leg from another shoulder rest. If it does hit the back of the violin, please put some duck tape or foam so it doesn't leave a scratch. All metal shoulder rests pose this risk, so be careful.
March 20, 2020, 11:16 AM · Ella, I will try that if I decide to move to the Bon Musica. Now my Diamond is useable once again the BM is no longer a real concern.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe