Which master luthiers signed/stamped the violin nose

March 18, 2020, 12:21 PM · Does anyone know which, if any, master luthiers (18th to early 20th Century) ever sign/stamp the nose of their violins.

I have seen violins with 'Knopf' stamped on the nose, but am interested in possible others?

Thanks,
Mark

Replies (10)

March 18, 2020, 12:32 PM · What part are you referring to? Do you mean the pegbox?
March 18, 2020, 12:37 PM · I think you mean the "button" at the base of the neck. Hopf and Duke are frequently seen, more often on spurious violins than authentic ones. Perry is probably less often faked
March 18, 2020, 1:01 PM · Sorry about that, yes I think I mean the button.
I did a Google search on the parts of a violin and found an image suggesting that this area (Button) was called the nose...

March 18, 2020, 1:03 PM · Stainer is another that turns up in every auction sale, pretty much guaranteed to be spurious.
March 18, 2020, 1:12 PM · Tis amazin just how much actual information you can find in a Google search once you replace the word 'nose' with 'button' lol
March 18, 2020, 2:24 PM · LOL
March 18, 2020, 8:48 PM · There is a local pro, excellent player, great teacher. First lesson -- his students have to learn the parts of the violin, and he tests them on it! All the little weird parts too.
March 19, 2020, 12:51 AM · There were thousands of mass-produced violins in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that had “Stainer” or “Hopf” branded on the button.
March 19, 2020, 6:24 AM · Thanks for your input everyone :)
March 19, 2020, 9:19 AM · My violin is in the shop for some maintenance and repairs (what timing, eh? Good thing he gave me a good replacement, but I still miss my own fiddle, sniff sniff). He called me to let me know he’d like to also address the problem with _____. “Could you repeat that please?” The problem with the ____. The part which attaches to the _____. I’ll just adjust ____ and then do ___....

And so the conversation went (in German), mentioning all the vocabulary of the violin I don’t know, and in the end I agreed to let him fix I still don’t know what!!

Hadn’t really admitted that to anyone yet. But yeah. It’s time for me to learn all the words for all the little parts of the Geige...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe