Teaching games

March 16, 2020, 10:26 PM · Hi there everyone! I am a fiddle teacher and I was wondering what kind of games all you teachers out there use for your young students? Looking for some new games to add to my existing ones. Currently I use theory games like match the note with the note name and how many beats it’s worth, or lining up all the notes in treble clef in order, and then games where I will put a ring on the end of the bow and we will line out a whole lot of up and down bows and do them in the air without the ring falling off, and other games where we will pick out a piece of paper with open strings on it; one person will play and the other has to name the notes as they are played without being able to see which string is played etc. I have a few more games too bur would love to add some new games to change it up a bit and it makes it more fun for my students! Thanks in advance for any responses!

Replies (1)

Edited: March 17, 2020, 8:31 AM · It seems like you have some really fun games you use, I'll have to try some with my students!

Here's a couple I use:

I have what I call a "music mat" an 18x24" thin rubber mat with a blank staff marked on it, 3 sets of refridgerator magnets A-G, a few cut out music symbols like a treble clef (known to my young students as Treble the Cat who sits on the fence) and some playing pieces. The possibilities are endless for games. We have races to see who can use the most letters the mark identify notes on the staff; flip a coin to go "line, space" up to the top. For young beginners who don't know their notes yet, it's just an exercise to get use to lines and spaces. As they learn notes, they have to identify them as they go up. As they progress, they play the note that they land on.

I also have a set of color coded wooden "rhythm" blocks, sized by whole note (4x1 inch), dotted half note (3x1 inch), half note (2x1 inch) etc, all the way down to 16th notes. One side is blank, one side shows the note symbol, one side shows the rest symbol, and one side says the name of the note (like "whole note"). We play all kinds of clapping and guessing games with those, too many to list here.

Hopefully this helps!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe