Deja Rosin update

Edited: March 17, 2020, 11:04 AM · First, Deja Rosin is for sale again. I thought they had disappeared. But no.

Second. There is the packaging issue. Nice little tins, like Baker or Guillaume, but it comes in a cloth, which is a nuisance. I started trying to attach the cake to the lid, which would have been ideal for ease of use. I also tried to incorporate Andy’s idea of using a sliver of cork between rosin and lid. Baker does that, so it is not a silly idea. Sadly, if I were to do that, I could not close the lid, as the height of the cake would prevent it. Luckily, the cork was attached to a sheet of paper inside the lid, which was easily dislodged. So it was simple enough to glue the rosin directly to the lid. Shall see how it all looks and feels tomorrow.

Replies (3)

March 16, 2020, 10:21 PM · You can just affix the rosin cake to a small cloth using a warm iron. Then put it inside one of those tiny plastic snack containers. That's what I do with rosins that I've rescued by melting and remolding them.
Edited: March 17, 2020, 12:47 PM · The only reason I used the thin sliver of cork between the rosin and the metal lid was to protect the rosin from shattering in case I dropped the can - i.e., acting as a shock absorber.

I was the the first purchaser of Deja rosin through Edsy and that cake was glued to the cloth that came with it. Subsequent cakes I bought were not attached to the cloths that were in the can with them. Clearly the cloth sharing the space inside the can protected the rosin when it was shipped but was a recipe for future disaster with regular use of rosin over a hard floor. (Not my first rodeo!)

Edited: March 17, 2020, 10:50 AM · No cork, but after a night of curing, it is now well-attached to the lid. And sounding very good, I think. I will have to wait until the cake flattens out on top to be sure, but all impressions are that it plays in the same league as Baker’s.

I do wish the cork worked— a good idea. I would even be willing to settle for a thinner cake to make it happen. But prying it out of the tin while in its cloth is not a practical option.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe