for those stuck at home...

March 14, 2020, 1:00 PM · This might be a nice way to pass the time!

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/live

(The Philharmonie is closed – so we will come to you! Redeem the voucher code BERLINPHIL by 31 March and receive free access to all concerts and films in the Digital Concert Hall.)

Also, I saw a post about the theatre, and of course it applies to our slice of the world, too...perhaps we can all consider this:

"If you have tickets to a live theatre event and shows have been cancelled due to the virus - please consider donating money to the theatre instead of asking for a refund. This is the kind of thing that kills arts organisations. Thousands of theatre professionals’ jobs are at stake."

Replies (19)

Edited: March 14, 2020, 1:40 PM · I'm gaming, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, watching Netflix... plenty of stuff to pass the time.
If you have Steam you can add me https://steamcommunity.com/id/dsd27/
March 14, 2020, 1:31 PM · Our university has a license to the Berlin Phil content. Very high quality stuff. Incredible selection.
Edited: March 14, 2020, 1:45 PM · The Bavarian State Opera will be adding free view-on-demand videos throughout the next weeks via their site:

https://www.staatsoper.de/stream.html

As is Vienna State Opera:

https://www.staatsoperlive.com/

Edited: March 14, 2020, 1:45 PM · Berlin Phil is free online now.
https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/titelgeschichten/20192020/digital-concert-hall/
Oh, that seems to be the OP, but a different link, and I misunderstood Paul.
I've been practising the violin.
I have a large collection of DVDs.
March 14, 2020, 5:53 PM · I'm always misunderstood! *sob*
March 15, 2020, 5:11 AM · To Anita's great suggestion for people holding tickets for events which have been cancelled, it is important to insist that if you are not going to ask for a refund tell the organization that you are not asking for a refund in order to continue to support the group during this hard time that your ticket price help pay everybody's salary including the musicians, not just the artistic director or the general manager.
When gigs get cancelled, the rank and file musicians often are
simply told "Sorry, no gig, no pay" while money the organization might have pays the manager and the office staff. Especially for the freeway philharmonics and other per-service organizations like regional theaters.
March 15, 2020, 10:00 AM · I stopped at a usually crowded Chinese Buffet for lunch yeaterday and there was very few people there, the same at our local mall, and it just seems so surreal and reminiscent of an episode from the Twilight Zone.
March 15, 2020, 10:36 AM · At the same time, it's encouraging that so many people are heeding the recommendations for reducing transmission.
March 15, 2020, 12:41 PM · In an attempt to reduce the impact of the coronavirus pandemic the UK Government's latest wheeze is to enact in the next week an emergency law isolating in their own homes everyone in England aged 70 years or more (which includes yours truly). This is intended to last over a period of four months. It seems arrangements will be made to have groceries and essential medications delivered to the home imprisoned.

I wonder if the family/social/economic impacts of this harebrained scheme have been properly thought through. What immediately occurred to me was what about people over the age of 70 still working, some of whom are nurses and doctors? T think there must be a percentage of MPs in Parliament who are over 70.

In contrast the Scottish Parliament is envisaging a more reasonable approach, allowing the over-70s to go out but not to frequent crowded places.

The immediate effect for me is that all my orchestral rehearsals and concerts will almost certainly be cancelled in the near future. Which naturally leaves me with more time to practice - not too bad ;)

March 15, 2020, 12:54 PM · They worried about the Spanish Flu killing the young and fit disproportionately. Do they want a repeat of that now? Then they will insist the old work and pay them less on the grounds that they don't work as well as the young. And revoke their pensions.
Edited: March 16, 2020, 4:48 AM · Did you have a bad night Gordon? Are you suggesting they're leaving the schools open to provide Covid-19 with a rich feeding ground, so as to cull the young and work the rest of us to death?

And Trevor, do you think it likely that old people (myself included as of 2 months ago) seen on the streets will be reported to the police by concerned citizens and herded into self-isolation camps? Seriously, it's supposed to be an advisory request rather than outright prohibition. I'm lucky to be able to obey the spirit of the decision, if not the letter, by enjoying the countryside as a break from the inside of my home.

Edited: March 16, 2020, 4:48 AM · @Gordon
Coronavirus death rate among older people are higher than younger... who are less than 1%...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-11/covid-19-risk-healthy-young-person

Edited: March 16, 2020, 4:53 AM · @Xuanyuan, my point was, if they isolate the old, the death rate of the young will be the elevated one.
March 16, 2020, 4:55 AM · Young people are at less risk due to their healthier immune systems, if the old are not isolated, the death rate of the old will be higher than if the young aren’t isolated.
March 16, 2020, 4:55 AM · Yes, I know, but I was being ironic.
Edited: March 16, 2020, 5:33 AM · I’m incapable of detecting irony lol. Sorry, I’m bad at social things but still trying to improve! I don’t have many friends Irl.
March 16, 2020, 6:52 AM · British irony can be a bit convoluted! I was fooled too at first
Edited: March 16, 2020, 7:57 AM · Some of us, mea culpa, can never accommodate the way in which the written word is so different from face to face communication. If I feel that people are friendly, I write as though having a friendly conversation. I only become formal when someone demands it.

I have an aspergic brother who is only interested in the letter of the law and literalism, and so I find it interesting how easily written internet communication can be similarly interpreted by people who are not aspergic.

March 16, 2020, 4:39 PM · As I write, my orchestras and other ensembles in the UK have cancelled all rehearsals and forth-coming concerts (3 before middle of April) until further notice. The likelihood, from what I've heard, is that most of the programme content we have been working on for the last few weeks will be used in concerts when things get back to normal - which could well be late summer or in the Autumn (Fall).

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe