What is this chin rest

March 14, 2020, 8:09 AM · What Chin rest is the guy using in his video? https://youtu.be/uQhZg59KzoY
It looks comfortable. I am currently using the Kreddle chin rest and it’s so painful and makes my shoulders and arm sore.

Replies (8)

Edited: March 14, 2020, 8:14 AM · Looks like a Berber or possibly Ohrenform.
March 14, 2020, 8:18 AM · I agree, and yes, they can be comfortable.
March 14, 2020, 9:00 AM · Its center mounting limits the possibilities. Could be Ohrenform as Andrew Hsieh suggests or a Varga - or the more common Strad or Guarneri.
Edited: March 14, 2020, 2:33 PM · Side vs center mount is a very individual choice. Some people find themselves more comfortatble with something closer to center while others find themselves more comfortable with something more to the side. When did you get the Kreddle? Is it the old edition (with the flat chin plate) or the new edition (with the more contoured chin plate)? If you have the new version, have you tried the other chin plate? Have you tried a variety of configurations?
Edited: March 14, 2020, 10:42 AM · If your shoulder and arm are so sore, it's a big technique issue—not a chinrest issue.
March 14, 2020, 11:11 AM · Looks like one of these:

Ohrenform/Berber

March 14, 2020, 11:20 AM · Check out the Wittner Zuerich.

https://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Chinrests/Wittner-Zuerich-Violin-Chinrest---4-4-3-4-Size.axd

Center mounted left-side chinrest. And it's carbon composite, including the mounts so it may give your violin a little sound boost vs. the old-fashioned wood rests with steel mounts.

Plus it's inexpensive and looks great.

March 14, 2020, 9:18 PM · I used to play on this chinrest, Berber. Loved it and still have it! Switched to Kaufman recently but might go back at some point.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe