Open letter to Ms.Niles about post names

March 11, 2020, 4:14 AM · There have been two posts recently that have no title and are inaccessible without the precise url. I would really appreciate a way to read these posts. Violinist.com is the only social media I have, because it’s the best obviously. So I would love to see new features like this one.

Replies (9)

Edited: March 11, 2020, 10:00 AM · When posting a discussion thread, it's important to put a name on the thread, or it won’t be readable. That’s why we have a field for a name of the thread. Thanks everyone!
Edited: March 11, 2020, 11:05 AM · It seems the easier solutions might be to:

a) make the "Thread headline" a required field which gives the OP an error if left blank
or
b) the "Thread headline" auto-populates if nothing is entered (a time stamp or ID number).
I'm not a coding expert so maybe this is easier said than done...

March 11, 2020, 12:03 PM · it's easier done than said!
March 11, 2020, 1:30 PM · Talk about first-world problems.
March 11, 2020, 1:55 PM · @Paul Deck
So am I not allowed to talk about problems that this website has just because I live in the first world? I have to be homeless in some obscure country without access to the web to complain about anything regarding quality of life? What is the point in your comment?
Edited: March 11, 2020, 2:20 PM · Not at all. I meant only -- and mostly in jest -- that among all the problems we have, this one doesn't seem to me to be the most urgent. I'm deeply sorry that I offended you.

What I have seen over the years on this site is that threads without titles appear maybe 3-5 times per year. It's true that we've seen two in as many months -- a veritable epidemic, one might argue. In each case, the matter was easily resolved by reporting it to Laurie. There are lots of other things she has to fix from time to time, like photos or HTML that users have inserted, which screw up the page formatting.

Your suggestion of a programming solution is a good one, but again, I can well imagine that Laurie is, for the moment, spending most of her energy trying to prepare for managing her teaching studio through the COVID-19 pandemic.

March 11, 2020, 2:41 PM · It is really very easy: people who can't be bothered to write a title have nothing to say to me. I treat untitled emails the same way.
March 11, 2020, 2:44 PM · @Paul Deck
Sorry if I seemed offended, it’s just that there are a ton of people who use this as a real argument.
March 11, 2020, 3:18 PM · I am happy to fix these on a case-by-case basis, since the problem is quite rare. Other than that, I would say to be sure to fill out all the fields when submitting a discussion! Thanks.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe