Bruch Sheet Music

March 8, 2020, 7:30 AM · My daughter’s teacher has asked me to order the sheet music for the Bruch. He said to look for the Galamian version, but I am not finding that for sale anywhere. Any recommendations on versions?
Also, your favorite YouTube versions I can start showing her?
Thanks!

Replies (26)

March 8, 2020, 7:50 AM · I would personally recommend the Henle Verlag edition as is urtext. For recordings my go to is Nicky Benedetti
Edited: March 8, 2020, 1:46 PM · I really don't like the Galamian edition of Bach sonatas and patitas, I don't know about Bruch...
March 8, 2020, 11:43 AM · By Galamian I think he means the international edition that was edited by Galamian. I like Nicky Benedetti also as well as Ray Chen and Cho-Liang Lin.
March 8, 2020, 1:48 PM · Bruce Berg has a nice edition and it's free online at his website (Baylor University).
Edited: March 8, 2020, 2:44 PM · Galamian edited versions of pieces are published under International. But the International version of Bruch VC was arranged and edited by Zino Francescatti (https://www.sharmusic.com/Sheet-Music/Violin/w-47-Piano/Bruch-Max---Concerto-No-1-in-G-Minor-Op-26---for-Violin-and-Piano---arranged-by-Zino-Francescatti---International-Edition.axd)

It's likely that the teacher meant this edition, but double check anyways.

For YouTube performance of the piece, I recommend Hilary Hahn's

Edited: March 8, 2020, 6:38 PM · No. The International (IMC) edition is edited by Francescatti.

The IMC edition of the Scottish Fantasy is edited by Galamian. Sure your teacher isn't confused, and actually wants you to get the IMC/Francescatti, which is the edition that most people learn from?

Not a bad idea to get the Henle, though.

March 9, 2020, 7:33 AM · Bought the Henle (because on Amazon Prime).
Thanks.
She likes anything HH does, but trying to get her to listen more to others.
Benedetti great. Her teaching videos really useful and generous, also.
March 9, 2020, 10:15 AM · I prefer unedited or ur text versions, to have a fresh start on a piece, away from performance tradition. Inexpensive sources would be the cues in the piano part, or the Dover reprints of the full orchestra score.
March 9, 2020, 11:36 AM · I'm guessing the teacher meant the International edition, which is Francescatti.

Unless you're a professional or a high-level pre-professional student preparing for a performance in which case the urtext is the preferred, I would advise buying whatever edition your teacher has requested. It greatly simplifies moving markings from your teacher's copy and/or already has the markings your teacher prefers to teach from.

Edited: March 9, 2020, 11:42 AM · I also wish recommend Professor Berg's excellent edition. You can download it and several other works he has edited from his faculty page, at the bottom links:

https://www.baylor.edu/Music/index.php?id=952983

March 9, 2020, 12:02 PM · I don't get peoples obsessions over "famous teacher/performer" editions. I would rather get a blank urtext and add my own as I go along. It feels like its mine that way
March 9, 2020, 1:26 PM · @Jake Watson: i also prefer urtext but it's good to see how other people solve the same problem of bowing/fingering. They might have a solution that we never considered. Even if you dont like theirs, it's easy to just erase and put your own bowing/fingering in.
March 9, 2020, 1:54 PM · Not infrequently, my students' ideas about fingering and bowing are...less than optimal. That's why they're the students and I'm the teacher. As they get more advanced with each piece, their ideas get better, but unless they can make a good case for not doing something the way I recommend, I expect them to do it the way I recommend on a piece that I am teaching them.

If they have a different idea and it works, then that's fine. (But I also can have a different definition for "it works" than they do. Fingerings have to make musical sense as well as facilitate playing the notes correctly.)

Edited: March 9, 2020, 4:32 PM · An interesting balance to be struck. There's a lot to be said for getting, say, the Beethoven Sonatas with Oistrakh's fingerings. I mean, who wouldn't pay $40 for a short lesson with King David? Especially for a really hard piece that I don't know at all, I'd love to know how my teacher made it work.

But you do also need to think for yourself, once you can, and adapt to the circumstances of your own hand and personality. I had a (really good & famous) teacher who sometimes closed discussions by saying "Mr. Galamian said..." Which drove me nuts.

March 9, 2020, 4:14 PM · I like the Henle / Barenreiter approach of providing two copies of the part, one an urtext and the other with a performer's editing. However, note that in general, a performer's editing does not reflect what they personally actually do in performance. Indeed, a performer's editing may differ from what they actually give to their own students!

I prefer to see the urtext, with the composer's raw intentions, so to speak, and have a reference in a performer's edition that I can use as a source for bowing/fingering ideas. I do take my teacher's bowings/fingerings, but since my mid-teens, I've tended to mostly invent my own -- and to rethink and change both as I go through the process of learning it and preparing for performance.

I think it's useful to see a lot of different solutions, though, so you get used to thinking through the problem and figuring out what works and what the trade-offs are for each option.

March 9, 2020, 6:30 PM · Among various colleagues of mine, Barenreiter is frequently referred to as "Barenwronger". Let's be clear: Henle is often an invaluable resource and has very very few errors in the parts (one ex. in Ysaye 6 and Kreutzer sonata notwithstanding). Barenreiter has grotesque errors in numerous works...including wrong notes that pop up for the first time in print (I'm thinking of one particular moment in the opening movement of Mozart 4).

If your teacher asks you to get a particular edition, there is probably a particular reason behind it.

March 9, 2020, 6:46 PM · He didn’t name a particular until asked.
But will touch base and reorder if needed
March 9, 2020, 8:10 PM · I really don't think urtext editions are necessary or better for romantic era pieces. The reason urtext are so heavily promoted for things classical and earlier is because the common edited versions (i.e. francescatti et al) were edited in a romantic style, which nowadays most people don't find appropriate. Playing romantic works in a romantic style, however, is fine. Sure, if you want the pretty pages get Henle (and their page turn solutions are great), but the extra expense really isn't necessary.
March 9, 2020, 8:59 PM · I have found that the higher-quality paper used in Henle editions have survived time better than my Internationals, which have generally yellowed significantly over the decades.

March 10, 2020, 3:00 PM · My edition mentioned above and free includes an urtext version which will save you about $35. Also, I studied the piece with Galamian, which means you will be getting mostly Galamian (also Gingold, Delay,) fingerings.

Show it to your teacher. I assure you it is much better than the Francescati, but if you want to go for a better quality of paper than your computer printout, go for it.

March 10, 2020, 3:38 PM · In general, Francescatti's markings are...idiosyncratic.
March 10, 2020, 4:08 PM · If you like my edition and use it, then please send me a check for $15. 5309 Links Dr. Waco Tx. 76708. You can make unlimited copies. I am of the opinion that people think something is worthless unless they pay money for it.
March 10, 2020, 7:40 PM · Bruce, have you considered making your editions available via something like print on demand with someone that does high-quality paper? That would both make it easier for people to pay you for your work and provide a nice print option. (I'd buy.)
March 12, 2020, 10:21 AM · Lydia,
Nice idea!I'll look into it. Does anyone know of a company that does this? Thanks, Bruce
March 12, 2020, 12:06 PM · Bruce, try www.thebookpatch.com or www.lulu.com.

I would definitely buy hard copies of your editions!!

March 12, 2020, 12:18 PM · Me too! Bruce has the kind of understanding and insight that you can only get from teaching for decades. I know teaching chemistry works that way, so I'm assuming music does too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe