Louis Spohr duos

March 7, 2020, 6:23 AM · As far as I am aware, Louis Spohr has 3 sets of 3 duos for 2 violins.
I was wondering which of them is the easiest and what their difficulty is comparable to?

Thanks in advance

Replies (5)

March 7, 2020, 8:08 AM · Scores, and recordings on Naxos, of the Spohr violin duos are downloadable for free from IMSLP. You could download the scores, perhaps listen to the recordings, and make your own initial assessment of the technical level of playing required.

March 7, 2020, 11:12 AM · Well worth a try. Spohr was an excellent composer.
Even the 2-violin ├ętudes in his Method are musical and attractive.
March 7, 2020, 11:18 AM · They're just hard aha. Why I want to wean out the ones I could do. I think his op. 13 is accesible to me so there's always that
March 8, 2020, 8:06 AM · I was young and overconfident when I bought several sets of Spohr's duos. However, looking back (I dumped this sheet music at the occasion of a move to a new apartment) I think opus 3 is a bit less demanding than the later duos (He had more than three sets: IMSLP has four sets of three duos each, plus three single duos with individual opus numbers and I am not sure those are all of them). And op. 13, the violin/viola duo is also a little on the easy side.

As compositions I prefer them to his concertos; there is much less showing off of technique going on. But they are hard, even the "easy" ones.

March 8, 2020, 8:28 AM · Albrecht, I was unsure of how many. I knew of at least 3, so thanks for correcting :) your comment has helped

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe