Feedback Please

March 5, 2020, 12:01 AM · I started recording scales with a metronome every day as a new years resolution, and it's now been about 2 months. I asked for some feedback here in mid-January, but it's been a while, so I'm back for more. Please post anything you think I should work on.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLj1892ziXfyJc7Qtoy11xVspoT4_FVjRv

Replies (4)

March 5, 2020, 2:55 PM · Sounds and looks fine to me :)
Edited: March 6, 2020, 7:19 AM · Decent intonation at least in first position. Better going up than coming down. But your tone sounds very thin to me, like you're just grazing the strings. You'll get more resonance by practicing with a fuller tone, and this will help you take your intonation to the next level because the imperfections will be exposed.

You want to get to the point where you can do two per bow because then you practice the transitions shifts too. Very important. Try them this way, it is the way my teacher taught me to practice double-stop scales (thirds and sixths).

G/Eb, G/Eb-Ab/F, Ab/F-Bb/G, etc.

Where a comma is a bow change (a breath) and a hyphen is a slur.

March 6, 2020, 11:11 PM · I agree with Paul. I’ve done the exercise he’s talking about as well and it truly is a great one. It’s also very good for intonation in repertoire as well. I actually learned it from one of the viola professors at my university who is teaching me secondary viola instead of my violin professor. I don’t know where she got the name from but she calls it “plop and slur.”
March 7, 2020, 3:53 AM · Thanks for the detailed feedback, Paul, especially the point about my tone. I'll take those issues back to the workshop and I'll try that exercise as well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe