Which concerto movement is the most technically difficult?

February 29, 2020, 9:36 PM · Hey everyone,

I was wondering which of the concerto movements would you consider the most technically difficult:
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1 (3rd movt)
- Lalo Symphonie Espagnole (1st movt)
- Wieniawski Violin Concerto No. 2 ( 1st movt)

Thanks in advance!

Replies (9)

February 29, 2020, 10:34 PM · Of those three, the 3rd movement of the Bruch, which is much harder than the first two movements.

The first movement of the Lalo is the easiest of your three choices.

February 29, 2020, 10:57 PM · I agree with Mary Ellen. Lalo I < Wieniawski 2/I < Bruch 1/III.
March 1, 2020, 10:21 AM · Definitely the Bruch with all the double stops at the beginning -- hard to get in tune. Lalo is the easiest technically but can be more challenging musically. Wieniawski is a bit of both -- some technical challenges, some musical challenges.
March 2, 2020, 9:19 AM · Thanks all for your input! I suspected that Bruch was the most difficult too!
March 2, 2020, 9:20 AM · What I don't understand, then, is why Bruch is often learnt first before Wieniawski and Lalo?
March 2, 2020, 9:25 AM · The first movement is. the last is a lot harder than the firet
March 2, 2020, 9:30 AM · I agree with Mary and Lydia! played all 3 and the Bruch last movement is by far the most difficult. Those thirds LOL
March 2, 2020, 9:32 AM · I learned them in these order:
Wieniawski to Lalo to Bruch all in high school and auditioned to music school with the Bruch.
March 2, 2020, 9:36 AM · It wasn't (only) the thirds that I found tough in the Bruch...it was getting the triplet string crossings smooth, contrasting with the dotted rhythms and up to tempo that did it for me!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe