Moving

February 29, 2020, 7:47 AM · Hello
I have the possibility of moving away from living with my parents to a town/city miles away, which I am excited about. However it will be a place where I will need to start from scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding teachers and/or finding music making oppurtunities?
I still intend on conservatoire in the coming years, but I decided I want to spend the time doing a job I actually enjoy (which I don't at the moment) hence the move.

Thanks in advance

Replies (22)

February 29, 2020, 7:55 AM · Moving, what an exciting prospect! Good luck with that Jake.

As for getting involved, I would say getting in touch with your local amateur orchestra is a good place to start. Google is a great place for finding Teachers too.

Good luck with the new job.

February 29, 2020, 8:15 AM · Ask around at your new job.
February 29, 2020, 8:55 AM · None of my potential new jobs are anything to do with music though
February 29, 2020, 9:06 AM · Paul does have a point, you never know! There could be someone who knows of someone who teaches violin or viola.

Another place would be to check out the local music service website, who may well be able to provide lessons for adults.

February 29, 2020, 9:21 AM · If your playing opportunities include orchestras, check with the nearest university and for community orchestras. Levels and ambitions will vary a lot, but if you ask around you might get some good insight. People connected with those groups might either teach themselves or be able to make suggestions.
Edited: February 29, 2020, 11:44 AM · "None of my potential new jobs are anything to do with music though."

But you're a musician and you're working there. I bet if you put ten random people into a room, one of them at least will know something about the local music scene.

Okay here's another idea. Go to the local pub. Ask the kind soul who pours your pint if there are any regulars who do classical music. Or fiddling.

Uber drivers. Barbers. They know people.

February 29, 2020, 11:45 AM · Right okay. Thats a good suggestion. Cheers
February 29, 2020, 5:57 PM · Maybe you should mention where you're moving to, in case someone here actually lives there! That would be helpful, no?
March 1, 2020, 12:08 AM · Well the potential one currently is Bristol, UK
March 1, 2020, 3:55 AM · Check into the Suzuki Association for your country -- you may find some Suzuki teachers who also teach way beyond the Suzuki repertoire.
March 1, 2020, 8:05 AM · Check with a local community college and with a local music store.
March 1, 2020, 8:15 AM · Bristol has plenty of music.
I think Trevor Jennings is based there, and knows a lot about local music, orchestras and musicians.
When I was there, the Bristol Sinfonia was a mix of local players and freelancers from London.
Edited: March 1, 2020, 8:38 AM · Jake, Bristol has a good deal of music, I also know of a viola teacher there. I’m based just over the river in Newport (I don’t teach viola). If you’re willing to travel, Cardiff has some fantastic teachers.
Bristol has also got some great community music groups, as does Newport and Cardiff.
March 1, 2020, 11:01 AM · Thats an option but only after passing driving test
March 1, 2020, 4:07 PM · The train connections between Bristol Parkway and Bristol Templemeads stations to Newport and Cardiff are fantastic.

Learning to drive is a good skill though!

March 2, 2020, 1:48 AM · Yeah I get that. Its just budget
March 2, 2020, 2:52 AM · Bristol was always one of my favorite cities - and it seems to have a great social conscience still. Best of luck with the move! Can't help with the music scene - but a google search shows at least 5 violin shops/luthiers. That's where I would start chat with the sales people to get recommendations. They are also likely to know recent conservatory graduates that may be a cheaper, and yet effective, teacher alternative.

Good luck!

March 2, 2020, 3:05 AM · Thanks Elise
March 2, 2020, 4:26 AM · The violin shops are amazing places to visit. Edward Gaut (maker and restorer) is also a fantastic chap.
March 2, 2020, 4:45 AM · https://www.musicteachers.co.uk/area/bristol/violin/teachers might be worth looking at.
March 4, 2020, 1:20 AM · Thanks everyone!
March 13, 2020, 8:05 PM · Well I didn't get the job in Bristol. Waiting on 3 more now...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe