New Bow tips from forum

Edited: February 28, 2020, 1:38 PM · My new JohnPaul Corona is waiting for me at the store. For various reasons he is sending me home with several of them an I get my pick, but I digress.

I am so glad to have access to the sages of this forum and will carefully follow all tips in the thread I've linked below. Good I found it, I thought all I needed to do with a new bow was to break out the rosin and apply it slowly ??

Enjoy the smiles from this old thread.

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/18896/

I've not figured out how to make live links here, my apologies.

Replies (3)

February 28, 2020, 1:21 PM · I hate how long it takes to apply rosin for the first time! I also don’t like how it wears of after only 3hrs of practice! Arrrggg
February 28, 2020, 3:04 PM · Apply a little rosin, then play for a bit. Then apply again—rinse and repeat. If you put it all on at once, it'll just end up on the table.
Edited: February 29, 2020, 5:45 AM · Cross-hatching the rosin cake gently with a knife can speed the initial rosin application process by making it easier for he hairs to pick up the rosin. I have read that some people advocate sandpapering the rosin cake.

I have read that using a toothbrush along the hairs after initial rosining helps to infiltrate the bow hairs with rosin more deeply and quickly.

I keep hair on my bows for a long time** - so I don't often get the chance to initiate new hair, but I just had one of my violin bows rehaired a couple of weeks ago and these things helped.

** If I have not lost a lot of hairs and think I might need a rehair, first I alcohol-clean my bow hair (as I have often described here), dry and re-rosin. It can keep me going for years (I have a lot of bows and I don't play so much any more).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe