Instrument/Bow financial loans

February 25, 2020, 11:04 AM · I’m in the market for a fine bow and wondered what reputable loan companies are out there for financing?

Replies (15)

February 25, 2020, 11:05 AM · I guess I should clarify: loans specifically for instruments and bows...not personal loans
February 25, 2020, 11:21 AM · The violin shops near to me in the UK use a loan company that they have a contract with, but its a different company for each shop. I have a feeling the best place to start with this question is your local violin shop and see what financing options they actually offer.
February 25, 2020, 11:40 AM · Financing is a personal loan, just the same with a different name. If you default on payments, the loan company will be the one coming after you and you need good credit rating for approval just the same as what you call Personal Loans. Like MZilpah said, ask your violin shop on option they are offering i.e. loan company they may be associated with.
February 25, 2020, 11:58 AM · Some orchestras have financing options for their members, check with your orchestra if they offer anything. A personal loan can be used for whatever you want within reason, I don't see why you can't get one to finance an instrument. Check Credit Unions for better rates.
February 25, 2020, 4:01 PM · Did some digging around and the AFM (which I am a member) has loan offers. Thanks everyone!
February 25, 2020, 5:03 PM · The usefulness of pursuing a specialized instrument loan is that these loans allow the use of the violin/bow as collateral. This may allow you to borrow more than you would normally be permitted to, given your income. (Musicians who are not salaried and thus have a more variable income can have a more difficult time proving income for the purpose of obtaining a loan.)
February 25, 2020, 5:41 PM · And to Lydia's point about musicians who aren't salaried having a harder time getting a loan, this is one reason why it's important for U.S.-based freelancers and private teachers to report all of their self-employment income to the IRS, regardless of whether it's on a 1099 or not. You can use your tax return to verify your self-employment income when applying for a loan or a mortgage.

I mean, if not being a thief (tax fraud is theft) isn't enough of a reason to report all your income.

February 25, 2020, 7:18 PM · Thanks Lydia and yes, I was really wanting a specialized instrument loan. Not a personal loan as I know the instrument ones have special circumstances.
February 25, 2020, 11:31 PM · Hello everyone, I did mine through the lightstream.com
When you call customer service you can ask for guy called name Dusty, he's really familiar with dealing with instrument loans
February 25, 2020, 11:32 PM · Dustin B. Miller
Vice President
Client Advisor
Private Wealth Management
Sports and Entertainment Specialty Group
SunTrust Investment Services, Inc.

SunTrust Banks, Inc.
Mail Code TN-NA-2204
1026 17th Avenue South
Nashville TN 37212
Tel: 615.748.4652
Cel: 615.521.9130
Fax: 615.327.3602

February 26, 2020, 7:49 AM · Thank you Ordabek!
February 26, 2020, 7:49 AM · Thank you Ordabek!
February 26, 2020, 8:39 AM · Just a thought: make sure you have a good insurance policy too - you don't want to be saddled with a loan debt if there is an accident/theft. I suggest that the instrument/bow are separately listed and not just a part of your blanket house/residence insurance.

Good luck on the purchase!

Edited: February 26, 2020, 11:57 AM · It is likely that the loan provider will insist that you have insurance for the instrument, just as a mortgage provider does when you take out a mortgage loan.
February 26, 2020, 3:58 PM · Trevor - I am sure you are right at least if the loan is tied to the item. If she found a better loan from her bank it would not be.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe