SAS chin rest - stable and safe?

Edited: February 26, 2020, 2:41 PM · I'm considering the SAS chin rest. Does that mount cause any damage due to all the pressure on a single spot? When tilting the chin rest, does it get loose? I currently use an ohrenform. Anyone make a switch from ohrenform to SAS? The cup looks similar in photos. Appreciate some experienced feedback. Thanks!

Replies (18)

February 24, 2020, 11:57 PM · In order for others to see it, I would suggest giving the thread a title.
February 25, 2020, 7:25 PM · Like many other amateur violinists, I tried a variety of chinrests ovwr about a 5 year period. I currently use the SAS at the suggestion of a violin shop in the Boston area. My dilemma was finding a CR high enough, and it certainly is. Before SAS, my favorite was the Schulz -Prizka, if that detail is helpful. My SR is the Bon Musica, also adjusted quite high. I am 6’1” with a light build and (I think) a long neck.

The SAS clamps to the center-line just to the L of the tailpiece, and stays put without a lot of clamping pressure. The feet seem reasonably kind to the varnish, having checked that periodically about 1 year. It is very configurable, especially the variable tilt feature, and I have never had trouble with it slipping out of adjustment now that it’s “right”. There is a mechanically sound set screw, and a supplied tool for setup - it probably shouldn’t readjust indefinitely however. I like my current setup with the SAS very much. Hope this helps!

February 25, 2020, 8:22 PM · My SAS slipped off a lot at the worst times. I use a Kréddle now.
February 25, 2020, 8:36 PM · I love my SAS tall chin rest and have them on all my violins. I play without a SR. It doesn't tend to slip off on me or do any damage. I have carved out the cup area a bit more to give my chin a little extra grip. I tried a Kreddle, but it is too flat for me. Make sure you keep the wrench handy.
February 25, 2020, 10:00 PM · To those of you who are interested, the new version of the Kreddle should have a deeper cup. It now comes with to interchangeable chin plates. Check kreddle.com to confirm.
February 25, 2020, 11:29 PM · Hi everyone, I personally really like the chin
rest, but the problem is it does take the sound away, That's why I had to find something else.
February 26, 2020, 12:38 AM · I actually went from an ohrenform/Berber to the SAS. But I switched back after a while because I found I preferred the former. Coincidentally I also changed my SR so there you go.
February 26, 2020, 7:15 AM · SAS is a so-so experience for me.

The good:
- It's high and I feel I can stand more upright with it
- It overlaps tailpiece, so I do not touch it when playing
- It's not bulky
- It enhances resonance in the instrument, making it louder (because it has a very small contact point to the violin and prevents my chin from touching the tailpiece)

The bad:
- I fear it's not as stable with 1 mount point
- it moves about a bit, but i do not want to crank the clamp to 11
- It's quite shallow, so I have to consciously mind the squeeze of my shoulder/chin.

Currently using it tho.

February 27, 2020, 7:54 PM · Thanks for the feedback everyone. With the adjustablity of the SAS and Kreddle is the concern that over time, configurations will become loose.
February 28, 2020, 6:03 AM · All CRs need some tightening and adjustment from time to time.
March 3, 2020, 12:24 PM · I've used the SAS and Kreddle. I prefer the sas since its built better. The Kreddle is many plastic pieces that "creak". To keep thing stable, I really had to bear down on the tightening. The SAS is very versatile as it can be center or side mounted, looks nice, and is essentially 2 pieces vs 6 or more. Kreddle is unimpressive. Note that I'm also against rubber bands, sponges, etc. None of that gets attached to my violin.
March 17, 2020, 12:16 PM · I am late to the party. But, the SAS did cause damage to the top of my instrument. I used them for years on both my violin and viola. And eventually it marred and scarred the top of the instrument. It is possible I had too much tension in my body and pressed on the chinrests too hard. So maybe others would not have the same issue.
Edited: March 17, 2020, 6:24 PM · I know one case where the SAS caused a top crack. That model was side-mounted--I don't know if that was the model or a mounting error. If it's on an unsupported area, with the leverage of the height it has the potential to put a lot of stress where there shouldn't be any, and that caused the crack.

I since have seen them mounted right next to the tailpiece, where there's an internal block, and I think that's OK.

March 17, 2020, 4:06 PM ·
Edited: March 17, 2020, 6:03 PM · SAS.
Absolutely to be mounted as close as possible to endpin. Also be sure tat the tiny leather pieces are between the clamps and wood.

My previous chinrest had cork between clamps and top. The cork fused together with the varnish. My luthier had one hell of a time removing it.

March 18, 2020, 5:47 AM · I had problems with SAS needing to be tighter than safe for the instruments' ribs. Kreddle works great for me--on 3 instruments, nary a creak, no extra tightening, and I have never had a problem with adjustments shifting.
I liked the flat original, so I use the newer style w/o either of the included cups.
To each...
March 18, 2020, 5:48 AM · I had problems with SAS needing to be tighter than safe for the instruments' ribs. Kreddle works great for me--on 3 instruments, nary a creak, no extra tightening, and I have never had a problem with adjustments shifting.
I liked the flat original, so I use the newer style w/o either of the included cups.
To each...
March 19, 2020, 1:09 AM · At the first shop where I worked, the SAS chinrest was the source of innumerable curses. No matter how much we adjusted them, one foot always seemed to stick out. The adjustability of the cup is intriguing, but the hardware tends to be problematic.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe