ur text for Telemann's Viola Concerto?

February 13, 2020, 3:52 PM · I am studying the 4th movement of the Telemann Viola Concerto and my teacher wondered if the double stopped A's in measures 31, 32, and 33 are in the original. Does anyone know if there is an Ur text for this piece, and if so, how is it identified?

Replies (11)

February 13, 2020, 4:02 PM · There'e a Baerenreter urtext and Henle Verlag urtext also yeah
Edited: February 13, 2020, 6:19 PM · Thanks, Jake! I went on IMSLP and found one published by
"Kassel: Berenreiter-Verlag" and conveniently, IMSLP put a notice saying it is an "URTEXT EDITION". Very helpful as well as edifying to me. I've probably seen that notice on scores before and it never registered.
February 13, 2020, 8:28 PM · Henle is the very best of this piece.
February 13, 2020, 9:20 PM · Oh great, two competing urtexts with Verlag in the name of the publisher. As an amateur, I will refrain from any more comments.

Thanks everyone, even if I am no longer enlightened :)

February 13, 2020, 9:25 PM · My text? LOL couldn't resist.
February 14, 2020, 8:19 AM · Verlag means publisher.
February 14, 2020, 8:19 AM · Verlag means publisher.
February 14, 2020, 8:20 AM · I believe there is a manuscript online on imslp
February 14, 2020, 5:35 PM · Thanks for the translation, Mark. By "manuscript" you mean a facsimile of Telemann's original score? I'll look around. That would be cool.
February 15, 2020, 4:37 AM · The manuscript at IMSLP is a hand-written copy by Christoph Graupner. In the Graupner there aren't three double-stop A's -- the middle one shows as an A and B double-stop. Bad copying? Correct copying of an extra tension Telemann wanted? Are the published editions which have them all as double-stop A's the correct one? Is that dissonance in the Graupner manuscript duplicated anywhere else, even if not with double-stops?

My advice is to try them both ways -- as indicated in the Graupner manuscript copy and as published, and see which you feel is more appropriate.

Edited: February 16, 2020, 10:39 AM · Thanks so much, David. This is intriguing. I'll show it to my teacher. I think I'll also send this little mystery to the director of the San Francisco Chamber Orchestra, who is a violist. I'm sure he'll have something to say.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe