Advice needed on minor finger pain

Edited: February 11, 2020, 2:06 PM · Hi;

My daughter has been practicing for an upcoming competition for a while.

On todays practice routine, as soon as she started, she felt some kind of pain at the tip of her left hand second finger. According to her; the pain was not severe.

But it was still enough to mess with her playing and intonation. So i told her to quit within 15 mins into practice.

At the moment, we are treating with ice and as she told me it is already better while still feeling some kind of pain when pressuring a bit.

As far as i am concerned nothing visible in terms of color, deformation etc. can be seen to hint an injury. Also she told me that she felt no pain yesterday and today until pratice. Only thing she mentioned was she might have gone a bit abroad on practicing the pizzicato bits of Zigeunerweisen yesterday.

The unfortunate thing is that the video recording for the preliminary round is scheduled on thursday. On top of it the deadline for the application is within 5 days. So there is not much room to maneuver.

As you can tell; i am seeking some sort of advice from experienced players in case the problem persists tomorrow. Calling it off is always an option but she is really motivated and was looking forward to this.

Replies (4)

February 11, 2020, 2:48 PM · It is probably a nerve that is starting to fire because of overpracticing... I've had it too once. Not good news, but still a signal from the body... I am no doctor but what I would suggest is that she stops practicing immediately now. Only on Thursday morning try to see if the pain is still there. If so, cancel the participation and rest for a week or so (then it will probably be gone). If not, great, participate. OK, she will not have practiced for the last two days, but so be it.
February 11, 2020, 3:47 PM · I'd be going for acupuncture, and doing Epsom salt soaks in lukewarm-warm (comfortable temp) water and not practicing for the next couple of days (per Jean's advice).

February 11, 2020, 5:42 PM · No practicing, no other use of the fingers of that hand for similar individual finger tasks (no typing, no video games, no tablet use, etc.). Wait until there's zero pain before resuming.

If the pain subsides enough to be able to do the video, but isn't entirely gone, do ONE take of the video. Submit that if it's good enough. Otherwise, skip it. Don't strain the finger by doing more than one take.

February 11, 2020, 8:12 PM · Give it a day, the tip of the finger is probably just sore. If it doesn't stop in a day or two, an extended break like Lydia mentioned will be necessary. But this is still the first day, so overreact.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe