Bow shopping in New York City

February 10, 2020, 7:42 PM · Hi-I am in the market for a viola bow. Would like to try several in a shop or with a bow maker. Any suggestions for NYC? Price range is $4000-$6000. Thx.

Replies (11)

February 11, 2020, 1:06 AM · David Segal on 68th St. should have a lot of options for you. Very nice people there.
February 11, 2020, 2:59 AM · Never been, but Salchow is well respected in the bow world.
February 11, 2020, 11:38 AM · if you can only go on the weekend, lukas wronski is located on upper west side is very accommodating, a friend of mine just bought a bow for her violin in your price range, shes very happy.
February 12, 2020, 6:02 AM · Shopping for anything in NYC means helping to pay their rent and other expensive overhead.
Edited: February 12, 2020, 8:06 AM · Might be worth checking out Reed Yeboah Fine Violins and Yung Chin (about a year or so ago, he moved his shop right down the hall from Julie Reed). I've had great experiences with both. Appointments are necessary.
February 12, 2020, 2:07 PM · I highly recommend Salchow in NYC and Robert Ames in Maywood, NJ (just across the George Washington Bridge). Mr. Ames has one of the finest bow collections I’ve ever seen.
February 12, 2020, 3:05 PM · Is that a collection, or inventory? Always dangerous to buy from a collector, since they probably can't bear to part with their best stuff.
February 12, 2020, 5:31 PM · Robert went to the Violin Making School in SLC many moons ago, is a member of the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers and is a respected member of the trade.

We have collections, too.

Edited: February 12, 2020, 8:02 PM · Stephen - Robert Ames is a very respected bow maker, expert, and nice person. You don’t have to worry about that. :)
February 26, 2020, 2:39 PM · I was at lukas wronski's a few months ago and played a fantastic bow in your price range. I wasn't in the market, it just happened to be out from a previous customer when I was trying out violins. He is very accommodating and has a good selection. Interesting shop.
February 26, 2020, 2:53 PM · What about Florian Leonhard? Anyone have experience?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha YVN Model 3
Yamaha YVN Model 3

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Tomplay
Tomplay

Aria International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe